General Jump Starter pack

Currently reading:
General Jump Starter pack

Mark03

I am seriously considering a jump starter pack, the question is what do I go for... what do you have for your car as a back up? You may have seen my battery woes post just recently and I am looking at this from the stand point of cost effectiveness and I hope this temporary fix is going to help me limp through the cold spell but seeing as my battery is not been proven to be dead, I am opting to look at an emergency back up of a jump starter kit...

So I looked in to this and its not clear in terms of cost benefits vs size and length of service. I quite like the idea of small and compact power banks that deliver enough cranking amps and charge through your cigarette lighter socket. The only thing that concerns me is the number of times that a small pack can be used to turn over a vehicle in difficult starting conditions.

The larger lumps vary with differing features and include things like compressors, radios, kitchen sinks and a few other bells and whistles... The price varies wildly and the cheapest one that looks practical is the RAC 400 Amp jump starter pack and it is as cheap as £32 and as expensive as £45. A Lipo cell type is average £40 up to £132 but have seen on eBay ones as cheap as £26 and deliver up to 600 Amps.

So my question is, if you are in a battery jump start scenario, what would your preference be, something you can keep in your boot or something that fits in your glove box and what would you be willing to pay for it.

Very simple, Fix your problem don't treat the symptoms, The cold weather will sort the men from the boys in the battery department, If your car won't start in the current weather (It's not that cold) you have a problem (Full Stop).......... If it's not battery, what about starter and alternator? Go to a decent Auto Electrician and get it checked out. You may have poor electrical connections as well. A few years ago I worked through a -23 winter in Eastern Europe, we had decent batteries but freezing poor quality diesel was the problem. As for the jumper pack, stay away from the toys, just think about this......size of wiring to a cigarette lighter!!! They are fads and a waste of money. They might get you out of a jam now and again but you shouldn't need them if your system is working as it should. If you have to rely on a booster start all winter you're doing it wrong.:eek:

Not talking about cigarette lighters here, talking about ones that jump start with high current output, typically around 400 Amps surge.

You're still ignoring the problem, Get it fixed and then you won't need a booster!

I found a multimeter, I just tested each cell.

I got one under volt @ 0.93v, one over volt @2.96v, the others hovering around 1.64 to 1.93 volts.

Even though the battery holds charge for a few minutes @13.6v, the battery is dead.

IMHO it was the 6 weeks it was stood at the garage that was the killer and the final nail was that third night of cold spell.

So now I got to try and find the money for a new battery as I don't have £65 I have been quoted for one :( and I still have to get the car back to the garage to fix the brakes that they fixed for the MOT as the garage refuse to come out to to collect the car as the brakes are dangerous....

Cucking Far's

Now you have the problem, you should get a decent battery for less than that! I think I paid about €40 for the last one I got.

Thanks, I got an average quality one for £50, the bonus with the one I got was its got 120 more cranking amps than the quality one that was in it,

Thanks for the link, I will keep it for reference, handy to have.

Having spent 5 days trying to resolve this issue, I went to a local retailer who knocked £15 off the £65 quoted, seems customer loyalty sometimes pays.

4 year warranty, nice

Unfortunately that sellers returns policy is you have to pay return shipping costs. It's actually very hard to ship a faulty battery. They have to go by courier as hazardous goods and that's assuming you kept the packaging, terminal insulators etc. The seller does not have detailed terms and conditions and their feedback is not the best. OK if it works but if you get the wrong battery or it fails it's not going to be easy. The seller has a website and they give more information on what is not covered by the warranty than what is. https://www.tayna.co.uk/tutorials/battery-warranty-information
A local broker / ECP may be a better option.

Robert G8RPI.

Within a 10K radius I have at least 15 places to buy a new battery, most factors and tyre depots do them, I would never buy on line for the very reason the return of faulty battery, then again I've never had to return one!

Unfortunately that sellers returns policy is you have to pay return shipping costs. It's actually very hard to ship a faulty battery. They have to go by courier as hazardous goods and that's assuming you kept the packaging, terminal insulators etc. The seller does not have detailed terms and conditions and their feedback is not the best. OK if it works but if you get the wrong battery or it fails it's not going to be easy. The seller has a website and they give more information on what is not covered by the warranty than what is. https://www.tayna.co.uk/tutorials/battery-warranty-information
A local broker / ECP may be a better option.

Robert G8RPI.

shipping costs for hazardus stuff?

i wonder how will they know about anything below, apart from physical damage

The warranty does not cover the following:

• Sulphation
  • Wear and Tear
  • Deep or Over Cycling
  • Overcharging
  • Physical Damage
  • Incorrect Application

The problem is that as they have excluded all those failures it could be up to you to prove it wasn't one of them if the battery fails. I've never done business with them and they may well be perfectly OK but I'm cynic and the wording of their terms raises flags for me. Unless you have an account with a courier shipping a car battery back is likely to cost more than the battery value. I'd bet very few people would bother sending a faulty battery back. If buying a car battery on-line ny extended warranty should not be taken as a significant benefit unless the terms sa they will collect free of charge if there is a claim.

Robert G8RPI.

Somewhere like eurocar parts or GSF locally will have a reasonably priced battery for a punto, I bought my Diesel a new battery a couple of winters back for £36 for a Varta

Back