General JTD vs 1.8

Currently reading:
General JTD vs 1.8

shyster

Its a little rare to see another stilo in Devon, and was pleasantly surprised when i was challenged on the motorway.

I would of thought that the diesel would of over powered me on the motoway... but it was pretty crap, and couldnt keep up.

i was well happy :D

couldnt have been trying very hard is all i can say. Where abouts in devon are you then, im just across the boarder in somerset.

I live just outside exeter. No idea what horse power the diesel had, as it was just some randomer

any racing on public roads is not to be condoned but doing it on the motorway is just plain dumb (n)

motorway racing = no skill + high risk of losing licence :cry:

The guy did you a favour by not getting involved.

oh bless... your completely right there is no skill in motorway driving.

As for the losing license part... i doubt i would lose it considering i was doing no more than 80mph :cool:

lastly arognaut my cousin was killed in a car crash... im not about to have the same fate..

And that is that :mad:

Well we have one of each and both have there attributes.
The 1.8 is quicker as long as you wind it through the gears, the diesel is quicker in gear when the turbo kicks in. But the diesel is numb below 1500rpm and gives a lot of drive train chatter were as the 1.8 will pull quite smoothly. The diesel does way more mpg but the 1.8 is way smoother to drive. The diesel is noisier round town but quiter on the motorway. The 1.8 sound way more sporty. Swings and roundabouts. Both are cracking motors. Not much to choose between either.
We love both of em.:):):)

i likes you katanabandit1 :p lol

and argo, you are such an old spoilsport :rolleyes:

i believe that although speed is a large factor in RTA's, but incompitent driving is by far the biggest and main reason

There is plenty of fun to be had when a car is stationary and parked up ina dark lane with the love of your life ..but you need a 5dr for that kind of shinanagins..:slayer:

oh bless... your completely right there is no skill in motorway driving.

As for the losing license part... i doubt i would lose it considering i was doing no more than 80mph :cool:

lastly arognaut my cousin was killed in a car crash... im not about to have the same fate..

And that is that :mad:

Argo's a mod, he has to say these things. We've all done it. even my dad who drives slow enough to drive miss daisy

Argo's a mod, he has to say these things. We've all done it. even my dad who drives slow enough to drive miss daisy
Quite so BBS (y)

In any case, you guys need to read between the lines a bit more ;)

Plenty of fun to be had on UK roads but that sure as hell doesn't include motorways (and I've already given the reasons).

It's well to remember this is a public Forum too.

TBH isnt any car quite crap below 1500rpm.... your labouring the engine at that speed are you not :confused:

the 1.8 if driven well will outrun the JTD... possibly even more so in the twisties due to the diesels heavier front end :)confused:).... just depends what the drivers are like and how well maintained the cars are i guess :D

the 1.8 will be a lot faster from a standing start, and more faster when going at higher speeds... yet from say 20mph to 80ishmph i would of said they would of been quite evenly matched :p... except the JTD gets probably more economy....

and as for the diesel sounding chattery.... yeah its a tractor... but its no where near as bad as certain other diesel engines :p

There is plenty of fun to be had when a car is stationary and parked up ina dark lane with the love of your life ..but you need a 5dr for that kind of shinanagins..:slayer:

I don't remember it being "fun" when me and the missus got a bit touchy feely in those circumstances but in a 3 door.

It wasn't fun because once things got a bit heated... we got a knock at the window and SHI......! POLICE!!! :eek:

Never driven the 1.8 but would comment you would be amazed what the properly piloted 115 JTD can keep up with... ;)

Was in Devon last weekend but you would have won easy, as I was towing the 'van :D 'tis certainly better keeping JTD above 1500 rpm towing (y)

actually driving to work this morning i realised i drop my car down to 32ish mph in 5th, and its doing around 1200rpm.... and it sounds and pulls fine from that :p

There you go. Fiat/Lancia/Alfa have a large range of TwinCams with a quite powerful torque scale at low RMP. The 1.6, like mine, is not one of them... :p

Back