General JTD engine

Currently reading:
General JTD engine

Who actually makes the JTD engine in my 2.2 JTD Ulysse?

The first salesman at Fiat said it was a Peugeot/Citroen HDi, then on handover 15 weeks later, sales manager said Alfa Romeo JTD. Have also read numerous reviews on the car, and one mentions the PSA engine [i.e. HDi].

Not that it really matters coz engine seems great. Just miffed that Fiat dealership know nothing...........

Hi,

I was told that the engines are from Peugeot and the cars are also made in France. Slightly confused why Top Gear thinks the Fiat has "iffy" build quality but the Citroen and Peugeot are better as they are made in the same factory but the same staff.

We have ordered a new petrol version, but I don't know where these are from.

Poggy

That is the reason I went for Fiat. Knew it had all the gubbins of Peugeot/Citreon, but a lot cheaper. I wouldn't have minded an Alfa JTD engine coz that is still cracking. But I was told built in the Fiat factory in Italy!!!

I know the spec changes between the different manufacturers, but Fiat do that by putting options whereby things are standard on Pug/Citreon.

Still, managed to get a £3500 discount on the Eleganza from main dealer [they price matched coast-to-coast cars deal on the net; the salesman was since sacked but I had already ordered it]; this discount allowed me to bung stuff on it, like bigger alloys, Connect+, etc, stuff that was extra on the other makes anyway.

What petrol you getting? The normal or auto. Seemed a bit too thirsty for my liking - the car is big, and the low end torque of the diesel is pretty good. And I like the whistle of the turbo......

Stu

I'm told they're all made in France. I certainly feel that the Fiat is of poorer quality than the Peugeot or Citroen, however I believe that whilst it is built to the same quality standards the design and/or materials used are of lower quality. Therefore it doesn't matter how well the factory put it together if the quality of materials or the design of how they're put together is substandard then so will the overall product.

I made the mistake of driving the Citroen and Peugeot and then assuming that Fiat would be the same.[:(!]

"I never drove the Citreon or Peugeot, coz I didn't want to be spoiled...."

I rented a 807 for the weekend and it was pretty good, I also had two drive in the Fiat and I couldn't see any difference except the Fiat had additional equipment at a lower price.

You wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

Poggy

Thanks Poggy!

The only reason I went for Fiat was because of the lower price. Even after my flippant comment, I still believe the build quality is the same throughout the whole range [i.e. manufacturers]. Hey, I have no major complaints at this stage - I love the car, and so does my wife and kids.

At the time of ordering, I looked at all the deals available on this derivative - Fiat came out best, and had a good write up in Car Buyer, so went with Fiat. It could have gone any way!!!

Stu

Hi,

Also forgot to mention that I rented a new 206 for a month while we await our Ulysse as we sold our BMW Touring ages ago thinking the Ulysse would arrive earlier. When you compare this to my wifes year old Punto, the Punto is much smoother and seems better built and with higher quality dashboard. I was a little surprised as the 206 we have on hire is a HDi and cost £12,700.00, which is a lot more than the Punto.

Anyway the Fiat dealer has been kind enough to lend me a car from tomorrow until the Ulysse arrives, this means I can save on rental costs. It could also be a good sign that they are confident that the Ulysse will be here in the next 1-2 weeks.

Or maybe I am just hopeful !!!!!!!.

Poggy

I actually borrowed a Punto off my dealer when my Ulysse went in to have its windows tinted. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Think it was a 1.2 engine, but it really shifted on the back country lanes. Really fun to drive.

Also, being a courtesy car, you can try things in it that you normally wouldn't do if it was your own!

Stuart

Back