Technical JTD cold starting then spluttering out

Currently reading:
Technical JTD cold starting then spluttering out

Hoping for some help on this one.

When starting my car this morning (2004 JTD 115bhp, 90k miles), the engine started then spluttered out straightaway. I tried it a couple of times with the same results.

Giving it some beans on the accelerator and a bit of revving it started fine, and ran as usual all the way to work.

Presumably it's the cold weather causing it not to start properly? Does anyone know the likely cause? Is there anything I can do to help it? Oil change? etc?

(The battery is brand new as of a few months ago, and managed the starter motor easily 4/5 times, so that's not the problem.)

It's going in for a service next week, so I'd like to know more in advance.

Cheers for any input given! :slayer:

A friend has been having the same problem the last couple of mornings. He's been filling up with diesel at tesco's so I told him to run his tank to almost empty and try filling up with BP Ultimate Diesel. Problem solved.

If you've been filling up with cheap diesel, try filling her up with some of the good stuff, your sittuation may well improve.

A friend has been having the same problem the last couple of mornings. He's been filling up with diesel at tesco's so I told him to run his tank to almost empty and try filling up with BP Ultimate Diesel. Problem solved.

If you've been filling up with cheap diesel, try filling her up with some of the good stuff, your sittuation may well improve.

You might be right. I usually fill up at Total, but went to Tesco yesterday!

:bang:

Last edited:
My 54 Plate JTD sounded like the engine had frozen in place when i started it on Sunday lunchtime, started with a clunk and then major rattling, even more so than a usual cold-start. It didn't stall but it wasn't what i was expecting given that it's usually alright in the cold and it's just had a major service & all the fluids changed.

Felt like a complete shed to drive for the first 15 minutes; Indicators wouldn't stay on, dashboard creaking, suspension squeaking, engine very corse. Tbh i wondered why i'd just spent best part of £750 on it, but it settled down abit once it was warm. Just not very impressed as it's not exactly old and has only done 65,000miles.

Maybe it's just coz it's been excessively cold (minus 6 seems perfectly normal at 7am so probs colder in the early hours) and it'd been stood for 3 days without starting, not that lack of use usually troubles it either :confused:

Forgot to add, mines got a full tank of Total diesel in it (i only ever use Total or BP) and it had a new battery in September.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just coz it's been excessively cold (minus 6 seems perfectly normal at 7am so probs colder in the early hours) and it'd been stood for 3 days without starting, not that lack of use usually troubles it either :confused:
What oil did they use Liam ?

Mine was stood for about the same period at something like -13°C last winter. It took 2 or 3 attempts to start but once running, there was no sign of any clatter at all and I certainly couldn't fault the engine for smoothness. I was actually far more concerned the wheels might be locked to the body as it was absolutely covered in ice.

That was with Castrol 0W-30 which I'm sure made the difference on the cold running.

Have a read of my blog if you want a laugh.

What oil did they use Liam ?

Mine was stood for about the same period at something like -13°C last winter. It took 2 or 3 attempts to start but once running, there was no sign of any clatter at all and I certainly couldn't fault the engine for smoothness. I was actually far more concerned the wheels might be locked to the body as it was absolutely covered in ice.

That was with Castrol 0W-30 which I'm sure made the difference on the cold running.

Have a read of my blog if you want a laugh.

It says Selenia (i think 5w40) on my invoice, the price for the 5 litres they used looks very close to the price for 5 litres on shop4parts, so i'm guessing that'll be it.

It stands quite often - last year it didn't move from April to September, but once the battery was charged it started first time, as it did on Sunday. It was just the clattering (like a real old diesel) that stood out.

It didn't sound that rough last week when it'd been stood for over a week, so maybe it was just a one off. I'll see what it does next time i start it. Always starts first time though, maybe i should've given the glowplugs a second go - was just abit concerned about the battery.

What's the link to your blog? I didn't know you did one!

It says Selenia (i think 5w40) on my invoice, the price for the 5 litres they used looks very close to the price for 5 litres on shop4parts, so i'm guessing that'll be it.
That should be OK (y)

What's the link to your blog? I didn't know you did one!
I don't really but popped something on after my last session ;)

Just to the left of this post "Blog Entries:1"

That should be OK (y)

Cool. Bit of a journey to take it back to the garage if it needed it! I might try the glow plugs a couple of times if it's really cold when i next start it. Is that why yours needs a couple of attempts to get going?

I don't really but popped something on after my last session ;)

Just to the left of this post "Blog Entries:1"

Aah yes! Bit more snow there than we've had here!

Back