Technical JTD Clutch

Currently reading:
Technical JTD Clutch

RobConn

hey all,

Friend has just bought a 2nd hand 2003 5dr JTD stilo to replace his American hearse (PT Cruiser) after some recommendation from me. (n)

However, every now and then the clutch pedal sticks to the floor, or changes its biting point, or will not allow selection of gears...

Any ideas where to start?

Hi.
I had the pedal sticking to the floor thing, it was a hole in the carpet that the pedal was getting caught in, glued a piece of plastic over the hole problem solved.

thanks, pedal isn't catching on anything. How do i go about bleeding the clutch... I am a little concerned the slave is shot... which will mean new car again... and my "reputation" so to speak, in pieces lol

Last edited:

This was a fairly common fault on early Multiplas. It was the return spring within the master cylinder that had snapped!

cheers, will give that a look over when it stops throwing it down... (doubt anytime soon though haha)

ok... this is creepy...

Fixed his car... (clutch pipe was trapped under battery box)... but now mine has gone the same way... but no trapped cables or pipes...

tried bleeding and made no difference... any way to check which is at fault (master/slave)?

Ok, well i've clamped off the hydraulic pipe to the slave and the clutch is rock solid... so does that mean my slave has gone :( ?

same problem with the clutch. clutch pedal is on the floor and i have no clutch. no sign of any leak but still trapping air somehow. i've bleed the clutch using a bleeding pump. after, everithyng was fine and 2 days later same situation. Anyone knows what is going on with my clutch? how can i check to see where is catching air though? a mechanic sugested it could be the O ring on the bleeding pipe but i haven't seen any O rings on the pipe when ive done the bleeding. in ePER, in the clutch section doesen't show any O Ring on the bleeding pipe. Anyone?

Some JTDs with the internal clutch slave cylinder have two "O" rings on the cylinder pipe to seal the sliding bleed mechanism, as arrowed in this diagram.

Attachments

• SlaveCyl.jpg
    SlaveCyl.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for your fast replay!
I'm going to ask fiat dealer if they sell separately the O ring and try to get hold of them. if that will fail to fix the problem are there other scenario of what could be the fault for catching air in the clutch line?

I had some on order with local Fiat dealer for about a year. Eventually, they told me the seals were no longer available as a seperate part.

They are still listed as "orderable" on ePER though. Part number 14452880 £0.79 (GBP)+VAT each but are shown as only orderable in packs of 10. A dealer may not want to keep the other 8 in stock so you may have to buy the pack if you find a dealer that can get them.

due to the O rings beeng old you had the same issue with the clutch? Catching air? Thanks for helping!

No.. I was just gradually getting all the parts together for if/when I need a new clutch. I saw the "O" rings on ePER and didn't know what they were for so I ordered 2. Later, when I bought the new concentric slave cylinder, I realised what the "O" rings were for.

Attachments

• JTD Clutch Slave.JPG
    JTD Clutch Slave.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
ill give it a try tomorrow with the o ring seals. ill keep posting eather if its getting better or not. Thanks again

Today I couldn't get the O rings from my local fiat steeler(no stock of them) but I've done a complete clutch bleeding. Hopefully everything will be fine from now on.

Back