General JTD and Octane Booster

Currently reading:
General JTD and Octane Booster

I've been using this stuff since I got my Bravo 150 MJet a month ago. Done about 1,000 miles with it now and have seen an increase of about 3 mpg.
I didn't buy it for the cetane rating increase but as it is supposed to be good for the pump and injectors as the low sulphur diesel we get now doesn't lube the pump up enough. Hence why a lot of pumps die early.

I have been told by a few others that it is pretty much the additive that is added to Shell V power Diesel as there is a similar smell to it. Even with buying the Millers it works out at half the price increment over V Power. I think I worked it out to something like each fill up with Millers costs £1.20 and the extra cost of V power costs almost £3. So a lot cheaper.

Reactions: saw
cheers guys, read the above posts, then ordered the 10 bottles for 89 notes. Turned up following day, read the instructions then worked it out that i have 50,000 miles of the stuff. Guess i will be keeping the Stilo for another 4 years..........like i said thanks a lot

Last edited:
wow never thought of it like that!!, just under 2 years motoring for me lol.
the seller was spot on for me as well, took two days to arrive here but i did order it early hours of the morning.
love the smell of the box btw lol.
roy

ps i have the feeling that the box may outlast the stilo is she has another strop on like she has had in the last few months..

Last edited:
Hello

Do you mean this stuff http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_370465_langId_-1_categoryId_255221 ?

If it is then i've used it too and it is good stuff. I didn't notice much difference to start off with but quite a few miles later the car did feel a bit smoother. Also I don't know if it was me but my MPG seemed to have increased....nothing too spectacular though, 1-3 mpg perhaps.

Phil

Sorry for bringing this back up again but I've been umming and arring about using this stuff again. Now I said before that it did seem to increase my MPG by 1-3mpg and the engine did seem smoother. However that was with my last engine and mainly using Tesco fuel. I have a new engine in now and I only use Shell fuel (and currently Shell Helix HX7 oil). My car seems to have a bit of a flat spot at low revs and have wondered about trying some more of this. I had my EGR valve cleaned Sunday and is still the same. I have read of the net that there is no point in using an additive if using a premium brand of fuel as these fuels contains additives etc. So is it really worth using it along with Shell fuel?

Also worth mentioning that the car is doing ALOT of motorway miles lately, nearly 600 miles last week! So the car is getting a good 'work out' on the motorway doing 70mph + (EDIT: 70mph TOPS - Office, Brent..........:D ) and is achieving over 60MPG.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:
I doubt it will make much of a difference to your car - you're already feeding very well with decent oil and fuel. Despite cleaning the EGR (did they verify the solenoid is actually working??) you still might have EGR issues and blanking it may give you more apparent results.

I certainly had flat spots in mine before I blanked it, and my EGR solenoid thing was loose, so wasn't even pushing the valve......not immediately obvious to someone who isn't looking as you have to remove it from the valve you are cleaning....so...ask the mechanic, and if they didn't check, either blank the egr, or remove your egr again and check the solenoid.

I'll ask him regarding the solenoid. I know its not (well hopefully) not the MAF as its new. Last time this happened it was a simple matter of a loose pipe to the MAF which was fixed with a jubilee clip. I asked my mechanic to check it and thats ok. Sounds like EGR, they troublesome things!

I don't think i'll bother with a fuel additive, like you said i'm using quality fluids. I'm more than happy with the MPG.

Ah well i'll get it all sorted after my holiday :)

Phil

Last edited:
Been out in the car today and this flat spot/holding back in 1st and 2nd gear seems to have gone! I'm glad but also a little confused :confused:. It's cooler today though but I don't know if that's relevant?! Maybe my filter and oil change has done something. Ah well:)

Phil

Been out in the car today and this flat spot/holding back in 1st and 2nd gear seems to have gone! I'm glad but also a little confused :confused:. It's cooler today though but I don't know if that's relevant?! Maybe my filter and oil change has done something. Ah well:)

Phil

hmmm.... could be! because you have had the EGR cleaned, have you given it some welly?! this will force out all the crap soot from the system (otherwise it takes a little while to clear, so perhaps now tis clear and all is well?!)(y)

I've not been thrashing it but I have occasionally given it some welly yes:) I understand that driving it down the motorway in 3rd/4th gear at 70mph for a couple of mile helps clear out crap. I've not done that really as i'm worried it will pop the engine!!!!!! Is this dangerous for the engine - say 3rd gear doing 70? The engine would be revving highly would it not?

You remember the juddering/kangarooing problem I had Clivvy? Well that's gone.

I won't bother using any additive in my car.

Phil

Back