General Is This normal?

Currently reading:
General Is This normal?

I own a 1997 1.9td Fiat Ducato on LHR. So just before Christmas I noticed the exhaust hanging down right on the join with the front muffler. So decided to buy a complete new exhaust. Been LHD my only option was purchasing from Europe. Now it's finally arrived and I'm ready to fit it all back on but decided to change the manifold gasket whilst changing everything else.

Yesterday whilst we had a break in the weather I went out, removed the Inlet Manifold managed to do it without breaking any studs, but not sure exactly how the exhaust manifold comes off. Looking at the set up there is a join with 4 studs on the manifold side, and then turbo housing pushes onto these and then 4 nuts size 13mm I believe. Which are well and truly rusted on, tried loads of WD40 but just can't get the right angle to use force very tight for space even with the van jacked up on the front. So my plan was to remove the whole assembly together, the exhaust manifold, the turbo along with the exhaust side for front exhaust pipe.

So far so good your thinking, here comes my questions:

Firstly when I removed the oil feed pipe from the top of the turbo, the oil was clean as if it was new oil. Is this normal? whilst the oil in the engine/sump is black. Was changed along with filter and sump gasket back in November 2020. But have driven it around since then.

Secondly does anybody on here know how many bolts/nuts there are to remove to remove the Turbo housing assembly. Obviously there is the air intake hose, oil feed hose, oil drain hose. The air outlet hose/pipe to intercooler. So far I've removed removed 4x 13mm nuts from a bracket holding part of the exhaust side to the engine. close to the alternator. I can feel one larger nut at the top below the exhaust manifold to the right hand side, which I'm having trouble getting a socket on as can't see. Are there any more?

I look forward to all your comments, feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance

Paul

I own a 1997 1.9td Fiat Ducato on LHR. So just before Christmas I noticed the exhaust hanging down right on the join with the front muffler. So decided to buy a complete new exhaust. Been LHD my only option was purchasing from Europe. Now it's finally arrived and I'm ready to fit it all back on but decided to change the manifold gasket whilst changing everything else.

Yesterday whilst we had a break in the weather I went out, removed the Inlet Manifold managed to do it without breaking any studs, but not sure exactly how the exhaust manifold comes off. Looking at the set up there is a join with 4 studs on the manifold side, and then turbo housing pushes onto these and then 4 nuts size 13mm I believe. Which are well and truly rusted on, tried loads of WD40 but just can't get the right angle to use force very tight for space even with the van jacked up on the front. So my plan was to remove the whole assembly together, the exhaust manifold, the turbo along with the exhaust side for front exhaust pipe.

So far so good your thinking, here comes my questions:

Firstly when I removed the oil feed pipe from the top of the turbo, the oil was clean as if it was new oil. Is this normal? whilst the oil in the engine/sump is black. Was changed along with filter and sump gasket back in November 2020. But have driven it around since then.

Secondly does anybody on here know how many bolts/nuts there are to remove to remove the Turbo housing assembly. Obviously there is the air intake hose, oil feed hose, oil drain hose. The air outlet hose/pipe to intercooler. So far I've removed removed 4x 13mm nuts from a bracket holding part of the exhaust side to the engine. close to the alternator. I can feel one larger nut at the top below the exhaust manifold to the right hand side, which I'm having trouble getting a socket on as can't see. Are there any more?

I look forward to all your comments, feedback and suggestions. Thank you in advance

Paul
If the exhaust manifold gasket was not leaking leave it well alone.
It is not unknown to accidently break the exhaust manifold.
An exhaust manifold for your year of van could be very very hard to find and very very expensive if you find one.

If it is not to late to reassemble then reassemble.

The oil may look clean if engine as not run for some time because the black particles can settle out over time.

Last edited:
So my progress on my van, got the manifold off along with the turbo and exhaust outlet as couldn't get the 4 seized nuts undone. Managed to do it with breaking any studs or damaging the manifold. I've not took the parts apart, used a wire brush to remove surface rust and cleaned them up before applying a couple of layers of VHT paint, to prevent them from rusting any further. The turbo on the other hand appears to have died at some point, I haven't had great power in this van for some time, and I put it down to only been a 1.9td on a 3.5t chassis motorhome. But I had my suspicions that the turbo had, had it. After removing it and dismantling it, which was like sabotage as the 4 nuts that hold on the c clamps were so rusted and fused I had no choice but to hack saw the heads off to release cartridge. Looking at the state of the turbo inside I'm convinced now that at some point the oil as stopped getting through, saying that the turbines look in excellent condition as is the shaft.

So now looks like a bit of investigating and need to order a new Garrett cartridge for my turbo.

Well done preserving and more importantly not breaking anything.
Your turbo looks fine.
If it had been oil starved the shaft and bearings would have been damaged.

Look into balancing turbo you may want to get this done before refitting.

Back