Technical Is there a technique to remove the rear light cluster?

Currently reading:
Technical Is there a technique to remove the rear light cluster?

BrianMcL

I got a check stop lights warning on my dashboard this afternoon along with the warning light illuminated on the dashboard.

I've got a spare set of bulbs so thought I'd change it myself.

However, having had a look at the elearn post I can remove the bolts OK I can't find the clips that hold the tail light cluster in place. I got the cover inside the boot off OK but can't see what to do next.

Can anyone give me a tip on how to get at the bulb once the bolts have been removed please?

Once the bolts are out the whole cluster should, theoretically, pull straight back in line with the car, However when I tried to remove mine recently it appeared to be anchored somewhere. After a lot of poking about with a mirror and torch, realised it was just plain stuck. You have to be brave and pull hard, but be ready for it suddenly coming out (the cable of course will stop it falling but may scratch the wing or crack the thing if it gets away from you). When refitting, suggest some silicone grease on the offending rubber mounts. I was really brave and took the other side out as well just to lubricate it . Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Molla.

l've got a bit of a vision of the cluster landing on the ground a la Halfords advert but as you say the connector should stop that.

Well I chickened out and went to Halfords. £6.98 for 2 bulbs and fitting the one that had blown. Took the guys a good 10 minutes to get it loose once the bolts were out and I can see why when you see how the metal prongs go through the rubber gromets at the back.

The ended up using a smallish piece of plastic to lever it out, something a cross between a minature plastic crowbar and a small plaster filler spreader tool. They pushed it in at the middle of the rear of the light cluster and gently levered it forward. Refitting took seconds.

I wish I'd taken a picture of the light cluster once they'd taken it out in case anyone else wants to attempt this but isn't too sure of how.

When I got my towbar fitted it took the mechanic 2 minutes to get it off. However that was 5 years ago and over the years things seemed to have solidified somewhat. It certainly needed more force to budge it than I felt comfortable applying.

Mind you, for only £3.99 it didn't seem like a bad deal all round, not least because I didn't get soaked when the rain came on.

I had the same when I took my rear lamp cluster out for the first time, I used a nylon spatula to lever it out. When I put it back in I put some vaseline (It has many uses) on the prongs, when I changed another bulb about a year later it came off easy.

Back