Technical Is ParafluUP required, or is any decent OAT antifreeze ok?

Currently reading:
Technical Is ParafluUP required, or is any decent OAT antifreeze ok?

JohnCamper

Doing a service on my motorhome right now.

About to change the coolant.

Should I stick with ParafluUP as per specification, or is any decent brand of OAT 5 year antifreeze okay?

Nothing against the Fiat Spec, just wondering if there was any specific reason to use it.

Thanks chaps.
John

Thanks Gents,

I get the point.
OAT Antifreeze is virtually identical whichever brand you buy, unlike Engine Oil (for example), which varies in composition from brand to brand.

So you are both in agreement.

Thank you.

Thanks Gents,

I get the point.
OAT Antifreeze is virtually identical whichever brand you buy, unlike Engine Oil (for example), which varies in composition from brand to brand.

Thank you.

OAT it is John, but there are very different opinions on here about engine oil. I thought it had nothing to do with this post as there is enough oil threads on here. It’s a bit of thing with me :D In some forums oil discussion is banned.
Just my thoughts John.:D

Thanks Gents,

I get the point.

Thank you.
Or is it?

On a slightly off beat note here. I recently changed the fluid in my Alde heating system, and was going to use eurocarpartsOAT 5 yr VAG G13 spec red coolant, (antifreeze), but was warned off by Alde themselves not to use that particular brand. Sure, they sell their own horrendously expensive stuff, to the same spec, but conversely admit to other brands being acceptable if G13. I had already bought the Eurocarparts stuff, 10 litres for a very good price and all. They could not (or would not) state in writing what the issues were, and Euro's were very interested to be told if I could find out and let them know- possibility of legal action was mentioned!

But as far as engine coolant goes, I would certainly use the Euro stuff, without any worries. just beware mixing it with the old type 2 yr stuff. Tjhe reason for the mention of Alde is that it uses the identical spec. coolant as the engine, and has the same material mix in its construction. But, food for thought if you're hungry....!

Just be very careful to flush the old stuff out thoroughly. Some types don't mix at all well.

I have not emptied out the coolant yet, because I am in the middle of changing the timing belt and aux belts etc.
However, having had a quick look, it seems beyond belief that there is not a drain point for the coolant.
I've read thread after thread saying how you can only get 60% out at best, and the only drain point is the awkward bottom rad hose.
Why aren't manufacturers fitting a simple coolant drain plug in a suitable convenient place, like for engine oil?
Cue the smart guy to tell me where that plug is hahaha......

Back