Technical Is my headgasket going?

Currently reading:
Technical Is my headgasket going?

Now I've not noticed I'm losing any coolant, or an abnormal amount of oil... but is this a telltale sign that my HG is going?

Oily residue all around the joint between the cylinder head and engine block.
Car's idling a little roughly too, thinking there's an air leak somewhere, perhaps not related though.

Attachments

• IMG_20170220_112719773.jpg
    IMG_20170220_112719773.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20170220_112731604.jpg
    IMG_20170220_112731604.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 40
That's the cam cover gasket leaking not the head gasket, cheap and easy fix.

Thats the oh sooo common rocker cover seal leaking
Its like £7 for a new seal....
I suspect that the coil pack seal is also leaking too! Also common
There like £2 to buy
Both are diy tasks too!

Remember for the actual cam cover itself - the bolts dont need tightening right down... as that just crush"s the seal and itll leak within weeks....
A slight clamping is all thats needed

Ziggy

Okay, awesome, thanks guys. Been like this for some time really... actually about as long as I've had the car, so about 2 years. Clearly isn't urgent, it's probably just a minor oil drain.

I feel like a bit of a noob, but I am still learning things really :eek:

Okay, awesome, thanks guys. Been like this for some time really... actually about as long as I've had the car, so about 2 years. Clearly isn't urgent, it's probably just a minor oil drain.

I feel like a bit of a noob, but I am still learning things really :eek:

Tbh.... Before MOT time, i get a cheap 50p dish brush, and i spray soapy liquids all over the affected area's
brush it all down - rinse and repeat
it looks better for it! and it mean MOT man dont put down ""oil leak"" again on the ticket

i've fitted several new gaskets... and tbh it dont cure it for long

Im tempted to try the flat with JUST gasket goo and a new coil pack seal

Ziggy

Tbh.... Before MOT time, i get a cheap 50p dish brush, and i spray soapy liquids all over the affected area's
brush it all down - rinse and repeat
it looks better for it! and it mean MOT man dont put down ""oil leak"" again on the ticket

i've fitted several new gaskets... and tbh it dont cure it for long

Im tempted to try the flat with JUST gasket goo and a new coil pack seal

Ziggy

I've been meaning to clean the entirety of my engine and engine bay for a while now. I'd love my engine looking a bit nicer tbh. :p If it weren't my daily driver I'd take the engine apart completely as a hobby, replace all the seals, clean every bit, etc.

I think it's a job I'll leave for a bit, not got the time at the moment.
I'm really not losing that much oil so it can wait.

I've been meaning to clean the entirety of my engine and engine bay for a while now. I'd love my engine looking a bit nicer tbh. :p If it weren't my daily driver I'd take the engine apart completely as a hobby, replace all the seals, clean every bit, etc.

I think it's a job I'll leave for a bit, not got the time at the moment.
I'm really not losing that much oil so it can wait.

You'd be surprised how much like 50ml of oil can spray over an area and get covered with road crap and cause it look sinister!

I've got leaking cam cover - coil pack and Sump seal - And they look a mess everytime! But i loose like 1L over a year.... Which puts me nicely at Service time usually!

Ziggy

Back