Technical Intermittent Starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical Intermittent Starting problem

johnny

Hi I am having an intermittent problem on 1999 T Reg mk1 Punto, about once or twice a week it will not fire. The engine turns over but wont start.

The problem happens when the engine is both cold, and warm, ie the other day i stopped to fill up with petrol and it refused to start afterwards.

So far I have been able to get the car started eventually, so I cant really call the AA out as it will probably start when they arrive?

Any Ideas??

johnny said:
Hi I am having an intermittent problem on 1999 T Reg mk1 Punto, about once or twice a week it will not fire. The engine turns over but wont start.

The problem happens when the engine is both cold, and warm, ie the other day i stopped to fill up with petrol and it refused to start afterwards.

So far I have been able to get the car started eventually, so I cant really call the AA out as it will probably start when they arrive?

Any Ideas??

Some fuel injection cleaner may solve your problem or Asta 3000 available from www.qvcuk.com

Just an idea.

Widdy.

HT leads? Looking at the service history on mine, I see it had starting probs at about 60,000 miles, and new leads were fitted.

Could be the starter motor. I had a car (not a fiat though) that did exactly the same and when I called the AA it started.

I spoke to a couple of friends who said it is probably the starter. I had it replaced and the problem went. The other alternative is to give the starter motor a few "taps" with a hammer.

That also worked but only temporarly.

Try this it may help,under the bonnet mounted on bulkhead is some fuses try replacing them and making sure the connections are clean and tight also try the relays for good connections.you never know it might work.these control the injection and fuel pump!g.l.

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately none of them where correct.

I took the car to a local auto electrician who traced the problem to the crank sensor, he changed it for a new one and it has now solved the problem.

Once again many thanks for your help, and I hope this bit of information may help someone else in the near future.

John

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately none of them where correct.

I took the car to a local auto electrician who traced the problem to the crank sensor, he changed it for a new one and it has now solved the problem.

Once again many thanks for your help, and I hope this bit of information may help someone else in the near future.

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/276896-intermittent-starting-problem-3.html?p=2896762

John

please check my problem
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto/276896-intermittent-starting-problem-3.html?p=2896762
sound familiar?

how much for crank shaft and labour etc?

Last edited:
Back