Technical intermittent indicator problem

Currently reading:
Technical intermittent indicator problem

Andrew Hosfield

My Marea is suffering from an intermittent problem whereby the indicator lights fail to operate.

This usually occurs first thing in the morning, generally in frosty and/or damp weather conditions.

When attempting to operate the indicators using the stalk neither the lights on the dashboard flash nor the actual indicator lights themselves. I don't think this is a problem with the stalk because the stalk will lock in place and will cancel itself as you turn through the corner. Also, if I attempt to operate the hazzard lights they fail as well.

No amount of switching the stalk from left indicator to right indicator will stop the problem.

Eventually, after say 10 mins or so the indicators will just begin to work as normal and will continue to do so without any further failure for the rest of the day at least.

Has anyone else had any experience of this and could possibly recommend a remedy?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum:D

This is the first time I have heard of indicators that don't like the cold. ;)

If it is both sides and the hazards then I would check the flasher relay. This is attached to the stalk bracket. Should be 3 screws holding the trim under the steering wheel. Drop this off and check the relay.

Let us know how you get on.

<h5><font color="black">Dave. :)
Marea HLX 2.0 20v
</h5><h6>Airbox with attitude[8D] Now only getting 21.4mpg
Blue Momo Tomahawk Gear Knob, Momo Alu H/brake, Blue stuff ;)
Ecotek fitted, removed and waiting for warm weather.
So much to do, so little time.... and Totally Skint!! :(</h6></font id="black">

I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM AS ANDREW
I HAVE ONLY HAD THE CAR FOR 2 WEEKS AND IT IS VERY ANNOYING
I HAVE TRIED AND CHECKED THE LAMPS
I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION IT HAS TO BE THE RELAY

ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Hi Leighto,
Nice to see you on the forum:D
Let us know how you get on with the relay.

Oh and please don't SHOUT:D

<h5><font color="black">Dave. :)
Marea HLX 2.0 20v
</h5><h6>Airbox with attitude[8D] Now only getting 21.4mpg
Blue Momo Tomahawk Gear Knob, Momo Alu H/brake, Blue stuff ;)
Ecotek fitted, removed and waiting for warm weather.
So much to do, so little time.... and Totally Skint!! :(</h6></font id="black">

Hi,

I'm glad I found this thread! I just nipped out to the shops and half way there I was turning left off a roundabout and my indicators stopped flashing - well, the green arrow on the dash stayed on and the click noise stopped.... when I got home I checked and for both left and right turns the indicators come on but do not flash. All on, so not a bulb problem. From this thread it sounds like it may be the relay you mention.

I've worked on previous cars but not this current one (Weekend 1.9 diesel). What's the deal with this relay, presumably it is something to be replaced rather than fixed? Is it relatively straightforward to buy/fit?

Cheers,

dcmo

Hi,

Thanks polecat - in fact I had a look under the steering column, unscrewed the cover.... then decided I hadn't got time to look properly right then and needed a torch so screwed it back on... and the indicators work !!

Ho hum... well if it does it again, I'll know what the problem is :)

dcmo

We had exactly the same problem, with all of the indicators just stopping.
Kept taking it back under warranty for services, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So I decided to buy the a new flasher unit myself and change it.

Hasn't happened for 5 months now, and it was once a week.

Definitely change it, after all it's not that expensive to change.

Back