General Insurance

Currently reading:
General Insurance

Hello, I've posted on here before.

I have the 1.4 16 v Fiat Grande Punto Sporting.

I'm 18, just passed my test and looking for cheap insurance.

I've been quoted £1400 from Tesco Bank Box, but I just want something a bit cheaper if available.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1412607157.987524.jpg

Go on your parents insurance first, or go to an insurance broker, that's what I done this year when I passed in January when I was 17 and got it to 1300, 1550 with mods declared, but your age and that engine is a great price

I'm with logical choice, think I got a quote through confused.com, I've got points and a previous disqualification and these guys came out on top by a long way

Thats a good quote for your first year of driving! I remember paying much much more than that.
Don't crash and keep the car standard, it'll be beneficial for the next few years

Don't go on your parents insurance, this is known as loading and insurance companies are now wise to it.
You will find that the policy is more expensive than it would be if you follow my simple steps.

Trust me, these steps will save you money.
My daughter had the same car, same age, same driving experience, and we got hers for £925, fully comprehensive, in her own name.
And by law, they are no longer allowed to charge a different price on gender.
Same price for boys and girls.

1. Use the comparison sites, go compare, confused.com, moneysupermarket etc.
I prefer confused.com as it's easier to change things around to see if you can get a better quote, and always seems to come out the best.

2. Just this single step alone will reduce the policy significantly.
Put two older people on your policy. They will have to be 50+, been driving forever, with no accidents, claims or convictions. They will need their own vehicle.
They don't have to be related, it could be your next door neighbour, but it looks better on paper if they are your parents or grandparents etc.
Adding any more than two people, will do nothing for the premium, and may actually put it up a little.

3. Be realistic with your estimated mileage, don't put 20,000 miles if all you're going to do is 8,000. However, don't lie. Don't put 8000 and then do 15,000. In the event of a prang, the insurance company could refuse to pay out. It does only have to be an estimate, but it has to be a realistic one.

4. Play with the voluntary excess. Adding loads to your excess may actually put the premium up (believe it or not). Try varying amounts of voluntary excess. you'll probably find £300 or £350 will yield the best results.

5. Now the sickener. Don't give in to peer pressure.
Opt for the little black box.
This will shave anything like £300 off.
Do this for two years, after two years, the savings will drop to about £20.00, so not worth it, opt out only then.
The black box also acts as a tracker, so in the event that your car is stolen, the insurance company will know where it is.
If your'e worried about peer pressure, then don't tell anyone.
Be warned though.. drive like a nob, and the insurance will know about it.
Do 100mph and they will cancel your policy.

6. Join Quidco or TopCashBack. There are incentives for taking out new policies. As much as £75.00 cash back.
It may be, in your case that the companies offering cash incentives are far too expensive for you, however, you may drop lucky.
Don't be afraid to spend a little more to get a cash back incentive.
Eg Aviva might quote you £1000 but no cash back.
Esure might quote £1050, but with £75 cash back, making another £25.00 saving.

7. And finally, watch out for all the extras the insurance company might want to sell you. Breakdown cover, Legal Cover, Courtesy car, European Cover etc etc.. all this can add another £120 back on, so consider opting out.

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Last edited:
In addition to the above, check with the companies that don't come up on the comparison sites.

The forum insurers are worth a call - Adrian Flux, Chris Knott...don't forget to mention that you're a member of this 'ere forum!!

Keat63 speaks a lot of sense (another name for loading is fronting). The onky other things I'd add:
Check out prices with Pass Plus - if it saves you more than it costs, go for it
Have a tweak with job titles - Money Saving Expert website has a checker to help you. My Dad saved £50 by changing from "Lorry Driver" to "HGV Driver"

And above all else - don't modify it...that £1400 will no doubt become £Arm €Leg $Right testicle.

This year I got £27 cashback - my first insurance policy to cost me under £500!!

Keat63's advice is spot on. The only way to get cheap insurance is to get a few years of experience and no claims under your belt.

Dont modify it, dont drive like an idiot and try not to prang it and it will pay off after a few years.

My first car was a Punto 60 and I paid £1600 for 3rd party, fire and theft so your quote doesnt sound bad at all.

It will come down every year if you dont claim and tends to drop quite a bit when you are 25

Sorry, I did mean fronting not loading.
With a little hard work, tinkering and shopping about, you will get it down below £1000 now.

Also don't automatically assume that TPF&T is cheaper.

Insurance companies see people who opt for TPF&T as a high risk (don't know why, and I didn't make the rules)
You want your car fully comprehensive, because you care about losing it.
If you opt for TPF&T, then you don't really care about losing it, in which case you probably don't care about any one elses either.
This is how the insurance companies see it.

It goes without saying, anyone who is deemed a high risk will pay more.
You will probably find companies who offer TPF&T may come out more expensive than the ones offering Fully Comp.

Last edited:
Hi,

Feel free to give us a try if you like. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to arrange for our quotes team to contact you.

Kind regards,
Dan.

Sorry, I did mean fronting not loading.
With a little hard work, tinkering and shopping about, you will get it down below £1000 now.

Also don't automatically assume that TPF&T is cheaper.

Insurance companies see people who opt for TPF&T as a high risk (don't know why, and I didn't make the rules)
You want your car fully comprehensive, because you care about losing it.
If you opt for TPF&T, then you don't really care about losing it, in which case you probably don't care about any one elses either.
This is how the insurance companies see it.

It goes without saying, anyone who is deemed a high risk will pay more.
You will probably find companies who offer TPF&T may come out more expensive than the ones offering Fully Comp.

At the time hardly any companies would offer me fully comp, unless i paid thousands.

Whilst there has been some good advice in this thread, I can't agree with the advice about the black box. Do you really want to be tracked everywhere you go? I feel sorry for younger drivers who are forced to give up one of their basic human rights just so they can get insurance, it's immoral. It's only a matter of time until we are all forced to have them and the tickets start arriving in the post automatically.

I'm not here to start a stupid argument or debate, but.
Sorry James, your'e missing the point.

You are not being tracked everywhere you go, this is not an infringement on your human rights.
The box is monitoring your driving style, that's it.. full stop.

Drive sensibly, and the insurance company will reward you for this.
To be fair, they pre reward you by having the box fitted.
The insurance company are taking a chance on you, and treating you like a sensible adult, rather than loading you, just because your'e young, and fall into that high risk category.

Each person should be measured on their own attitude to driving.
Just because I'm 50, doesn't make me a sensible driver, I'm also capable of being a nob, although less likely.
Similarly young drivers are (believe it or not) capable of being sensible drivers, however, these are being tainted by a hand full of bad ones.

The black box is a modern technology, allowing the insurance company to treat you like an adult.

If you have nothing to hide, then why worry about being monitored for a few years, until you fall out of the high risk group.

Drive like a nob, and the insurance will know that your'e a nob, and increase your policy, and quite rightly as you be a high risk.

All I can say is Anyone who flatly refuses on the grounds that "Im not having an insurance company tell me how I can drive" deserves to pay the extra

I've never had a black box myself but they are a good idea, as keat63 said they are there to monitor your driving and hopefully reward you good if you drive sensible. (if you have since having little experience you will anyway!)

for an 18yr old 1400 is pennies compared to allot I've seen!

Well first of all I would like to thank everyone for their responses and advice, it was greatly appreciated.

The £1400 quote which I had before was with Tesco Bank Box insurance and still seems to be the cheapest method!

I have touched up and changed a few parts, with the excess and the additional drivers, however this didn't make any change unfortunately.

So looks like £1400 with Tesco black box is the way forward.

PS: not all black boxes are as strict as others, a lot of my friends have chosen to go with Tesco's Black box, all they seem to cover is miles. Some of my friends defiantly fall into the category of boy racers with their driving attitudes. Despite this, they have had no concern with the insurance company and are still driving, which does include a lot of speeding and known to go 100+ which I obviously don't condone lol.

Go to Direct Line.

1.2 for my daughter, me, the wife, two sons, .......daughter just passed her test and two son's under 21 at the time......£600.

Black box installed and it does make everyone thin k about how they drive. It does not know where you are just how you are driving. Go try them.

Go to Direct Line.

1.2 for my daughter, me, the wife, two sons, .......daughter just passed her test and two son's under 21 at the time......£600.

Black box installed and it does make everyone thin k about how they drive. It does not know where you are just how you are driving. Go try them.

Thank you I'll go head over and have a look!

Postcodes have a lot to do with it.
A 40 year old colleague at work pays £550, for a 10 year old gold VR5.

So I went on the comparisons, and changed my details to include his car.
I got it for £195.

I then changed my postcode for the worst one in my nearest city Leeds, and it shot up to £425.

That's one heck of a jump for a postcode change.

Agree re postcodes......lottery all round.
Jtowers123...did you look at their black box price? Did you add some older drivers with no accidents; anyone else have any other Direct Line insurance (anything) as that reduces costs....ask anyone you know as does not have to be family just need their permission as all it asks for surname, date of birth, postcode etc.

Back