Technical Inlet manifold on 1.9 16v multijet

Currently reading:
Technical Inlet manifold on 1.9 16v multijet

Out of interest how many of you Croma 1.9 16v m/jet owners have had to have a new manifold due to the swirl flap sticking problems on these engines ? If so at what mileage was this, and how much did it cost to repair (around £800-£1000) ? The swirl flap actuator bars can also fall off when the flaps stick. Many owners with the same engine in vectra/saabs etc have also had this problem. Anyone know when the swirl flaps were modified or deleted on these M/Jet or CDTi 16v engines ? Thx

Mine is on a 56 plate but was manufactured in 09/2005.

I've done quite a bit of looking at the swirl valves on my Croma (see)

https://www.fiatforum.com/croma-ii/305729-swirl-flaps.html?p=3094627

You will also note that I found that my swirl valves appear to not be operating so they have either failed in the fully open position OR Fiat programmed the ECU to turn the valves off before getting round to producing Cromas with a different inlet manifold without the valves.

If you have swirl valves on your Croma then check to see if they are actually working before wasting a lot of time.

Would be interesting to see how many Croma owners do actually have working swirl valves by production date? I can tell anyone their vehicle production date is you let me know your chassis number.

Not quite an answer to the question, but mine has never looked back in the way it runs since I disconnect them and fixed them in the open position. There is a spare manifold I have bought (5-cylinder, 2.4 so a rare one) which I removing the flaps on, plugging the spindle holes, cleaning it all up bright and shiny of the disgusting EGR mess and when I do my cambelt they will be swapped. I will then have the manifold off mine to do the same to and perhaps pass on to someone else. The car has had DPF removed and been mapped, I'm about to get the EGR mapped out too (preferably only when it's hot to aid warm up, but if I can't find a way to do that then it will be mapped out fully). Then other things will happen, but not really realated to this topic.

Would be interesting to see how many Croma owners do actually have working swirl valves by production date? I can tell anyone their vehicle production date is you let me know your chassis number.[/QUOTE]

Might my 8v 1.9JTD have them? Is there an easy way to tell?

The 8v does'nt have the swirl flaps.

People can check if they have them, and if so check if they are working by looking for the actuator rod on the inlet manifold. If the rod is not there, then you dont have any swirl flaps - lucky you. They should turn a quarter of a turn when the car is started and move again when its reved over 2000 rpm. If they are not working the car will be very sluggish under 2000 rpm.

Hi our Croma was registered dec 05 and failed at 50000 miles,I bought a new modified replacement manifold for £180 (ebay). Fitted it myself in an afternoon it is not easy! but is not necessary to up set the cam belt as two bolts in the fuel pump pulley allow you to remove the fuel pump.The woodruf key caused much ill temper and is best super glued in place on refit.It has been two years and we have had no further trouble.
Telegraph.:wave:

Back