indigestion

Currently reading:
indigestion

arc

this is where i stand
this is buggin me now..

got home last night and had indigestion - doesnt normally bother me, so i went to bed. got up this morning. still got it. so ate some gaviscon things. still got it. drank milk, still got. ate bread. still got it.

any other cures (apart from not drinking a pint of baileys before going out, and then cheeky vimto all night)

arc said:
this is buggin me now..

got home last night and had indigestion - doesnt normally bother me, so i went to bed. got up this morning. still got it. so ate some gaviscon things. still got it. drank milk, still got. ate bread. still got it.

any other cures (apart from not drinking a pint of baileys before going out, and then cheeky vimto all night)

Just drink plenty of water to dilute the acids :)

Yeah, omneperazole :D

It's a heavy duty tablet called a proton pump inhibitor, it basically cuts down your body's acid regulator in your stomach down to about 40% of it's normal production level.
I've been on them for 4 years, I started with the usuals like milk, gaviscon, then onto ranitidine, but even that was ineffective after a few years. If I miss the pill or am a couple of hours late, I get the most excrutiating acid indigestion, I'd have no quality of life without these pills.

However if you only get it now and then, if you feel it's starting, have a glass of milk, and avoid bananas, spicy foods, any acidic foods, vinegar, pineapple, bread etc. and have a pack of rennies handy. If that doesn't work, get some milk of magnesia and neck that.

milk is only really a temporary fix, it lines your stomach and cuts the pain, and also it's an alkali which neutralises the acid. However if your body is producing too much acid then after 30 mins the milk will be ineffective.

arc said:
i tried that with milk, thought that was meant to do that. :confused:

The calcium in the milk is supposed to neutralise the acids, but doesnt always work - never for me anyway. I usually have a couple of rennies and drinks lots and lots of water (couple of pints straight away then drink more every so often).

Its probably dehydration thats causing it as after a heavy night you need to drink plenty of water anyway as alcohol is a damn good dyaretic (sp) :)

I fail to understand why people choose to take rotten stuff when not-so-rotten stuff does the trick just as well. Any antacid eg. Tums, Rennies, Remegel will be as effective as Milk of Magnesia for this. If you're on a mission to drink plenty of water, it will be less of a shock to your tummy if it's tepid :)

I find eating too many processed/ sweet foods affects me every once in a while and switching back to simple, home cooked, additive free food helps me out. In the meantime, Zantac twice a day will help reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces (stopping the vicious cycle of tummy makes acid, antacid reduces acid, tummy makes more acid to compensate) for a few days while you recover. Omeprazole is available OTC but IMO doesn't justify the cost unless you have tried other things without success.

If it goes on for more than a few days or you have any of the following symptoms, it's time to see Doc: pain extends to jaw or down arm or is worse upon exercise, blood in vomit, black poop or unexplained weight loss.

Back