Technical Indicators, fuel and temp guage not working

Currently reading:
Technical Indicators, fuel and temp guage not working

panky46

Hi all. I have a 1997 fiat Ducati swift Sundance motorhome, 1.9 diesel. Out in it last weekend the indicators, fuel guage and temperature guage all stopped working suddenly.
The hazard warning indicators still work
Any ideas what's happened please and what to check. Thanks

Last edited:
To ask the obvious, have you checked the fuses?
A Ducati has handlebars. On the x230 Ducato, fuse F1 supplies the indicators, various warning lights, temperature gauge, reversing light, and perhaps other items. As the hazard warning still functions, this suggests that the indicator wiring is OK. Perhaps the reversing light wiring has developed a fault, by rubbing on metalwork.

Hi all. I have a 1997 fiat Ducati swift Sundance motorhome, 1.9 diesel. Out in it last weekend the indicators, fuel gua
A Ducati has handlebars. On the x230 Ducato, fuse F1 supplies the indicators, various warning lights, temperature gauge, reversing light, and perhaps other items. As the hazard warning still functions, this suggests that the indicator wiring is OK. Perhaps the reversing light wiring has developed a fault, by rubbing on metalwork. H
ge and temperature guage all stopped working suddenly.
The hazard warning indicators still work
Any ideas what's happened please and what to check. Thanks

A Ducati has handlebars. On the x230 Ducato, fuse F1 supplies the indicators, various warning lights, temperature gauge, reversing light, and perhaps other items. As the hazard warning still functions, this suggests that the indicator wiring is OK. Perhaps the reversing light wiring has developed a fault, by rubbing on metalwork.
Hi communicator. Firstly thank you for responding and so quickly, I am greatful and impressed.

I have checked the fuses and the one you mentioned had blown! ( I did check them when it happened and even with my glasses i did not see the small break - should have gone to Specsavers). I was going to recheck and replace anyway as somewhere else on the forum someone else had put they replaced a fuse that looked ok.
Everything is working at the moment.... however what caused it is the question? When we were going along I heard a banging sort of noise and wonder now if a bumpy road caused the reverse wiring which maybe faulty and it rubbed. Anyway if it goes again that will be my first place to look.
Now to sort out what is causing my water pump fuse to blow. Any ideas?? Best wishes

Hi communicator. Firstly thank you for responding and so quickly, I am greatful and impressed.

I have checked the fuses and the one you mentioned had blown! ( I did check them when it happened and even with my glasses i did not see the small break - should have gone to Specsavers). I was going to recheck and replace anyway as somewhere else on the forum someone else had put they replaced a fuse that looked ok.
Everything is working at the moment.... however what caused it is the question? When we were going along I heard a banging sort of noise and wonder now if a bumpy road caused the reverse wiring which maybe faulty and it rubbed. Anyway if it goes again that will be my first place to look.
Now to sort out what is causing my water pump fuse to blow. Any ideas?? Best wishes
Ps what does "handlebars" mean

You claimed to have a Ducati, which is a motorbike, and has handlebars.

If fuse F1 looked OK on casual inspection, that suggests a transient fault or overload. However if the element was vapourised, that would indicate a short circuit. Finding the cause will be a process of elimination, but the supplies to items on the dash are the least likely culprits. The ignition controlled supply to the reversing light switch on the gearbox seems a possibility. See if you can find any abrasion on it.

You claimed to have a Ducati, which is a motorbike, and has handlebars.

If fuse F1 looked OK on casual inspection, that suggests a transient fault or overload. However if the element was vapourised, that would indicate a short circuit. Finding the cause will be a process of elimination, but the supplies to items on the dash are the least likely culprits. The ignition controlled supply to the reversing light switch on the gearbox seems a possibility. See if you can find any abrasion on it.
Thanks for the extra info. I will see how it goes on that one. Ah see what you mean handlebars blooming spell checker decided to change ducato and I didn't notice.
Have just checked the water pump. Only two wires go in to terminals. Have cleaned both. Still blew fuse after a very short delay. Does that sound like a faulty pump to you.?? Didn't have it working over the winter and it must have blew the fuse and didn't work first time I tried it recently.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Have just checked the water pump. Only two wires go in to terminals. Have cleaned both. Still blew fuse after a very short delay. Does that sound like a faulty pump to you.?? Didn't have it working over the winter and it must have blew the fuse and didn't work first time I tried it recently.
Is this a submersible pump, or an external pressure sensing diaphragm pump, which may be repairable. It seems probable that your pump has seized causing the motor to stall. A stalled motor will draw more than full load current. Hence reason for and blown fuse. If you can access the pump impeller you may be able to get it moving again.

Is this a submersible pump, or an external pressure sensing diaphragm pump, which may be repairable. It seems probable that your pump has seized causing the motor to stall. A stalled motor will draw more than full load current. Hence reason for and blown fuse. If you can access the pump impeller you may be able to get it moving again.
Thank you once again. It is a small pump outside the water tank I will see if I can free it.

Back