Technical Indicator switch latching mechanism on a 1964 D model

Currently reading:
Technical Indicator switch latching mechanism on a 1964 D model

Chrismunn

I need some inspiration on how to get the latches that are triggered by the indicator stalk to mesh with the steering wheel cutouts to self cancel as the steering wheel returns to the straight ahead position.

The switch unit is new (but had some faulty wiring, since fixed) and the nylon cams in the switch itself are working as supposed to, but I cannot get them to trigger as the wheel turns no matter how i assemble everything.

What am I missing?

Mine never worked until after I rebuilt it all post restauration. The only thing I could figure out that I’d done differently is I put the steering wheel back on but rotated through 180 degrees (spokes pointing down instead of up). Of course I could have fixed something else without realising it and I could be feeding you a red herring but it’s worth a go.

Hi Paulo, I checked that out and it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

The other thing I struggled to get right was the distance between the indicator mechanism and the steering wheel. I think it works by the raised bits inside the steering wheel knocking the the white cam switch off. Obviously if the gap is too big between the two parts then this won’t work. I ended up with the indicator just past the splines (see photos)
IMG_0131.JPGIMG_0109.JPG

Back