Technical Illuminating..... thoughts?

Currently reading:
Technical Illuminating..... thoughts?

Unable to get to Brooklands this morning :( - my son had a (successful :cool:) football trial that didn't finish until just before mid-day, I thought I'd spend late afternoon doing a few more straight forward bits I had been planning to do to Poppi but not found the time.

Poppi has been well fettled this past couple of weeks - new cambelt kit, waterpump, solid coolant pipe (looked a little corroded at the waterpump end), both inner driveshaft gaiters, cam cover gasket, full service, and thought it was about time I got around to fitting the clock and radio and try and get both of them and the heater and main switches illuminating/dimming correctly when the main dash lights up.

Clock and Radio (less aerial fitting- thats going on tomorrow) are wired in and all working, but now I am sitting indoors thinking about the illumination bits and scratching my head a bit.

I've got the switch block light fitting (courtesy of MEP (y)) and connected some power to prove thats all good and working. The clock's got its bulb and wiring and I've successfully run some power to that to prove its fine. I've got either some universal dash bulbs or some LEDS, one of which I am planning to wire and place in the little holder clips that sit at the bottom of the plastic channels behind the heater icons.

But wheres best to take the feed from? Obviously I could go behind the speedo and tap into the speedo/idogram illumination bulb wiring, but don't really think I'll get the time to take all that off tomorrow and maybe there a quicker, more local fix.

How about just going to the light switch itself - so when you put the power through it, the above light-up/radio dims? Is this too obvious?

Read a bit about these switches burning out - would I possibly be overloading it if I was to run the illumination for the radio/clock/switches/heater icons too.

Any thoughts and assistance will, as always be much appreciated.

Bob

Last edited:
no spare wires flapping about? Neither of mine were fitted with either clock or switch lighting but when I went to put them in the wiring was already there as part of the standard loom. Don't know if Poppi's maybe too early for the dash lighting to be available but the clock surely was an option and the wiring for that should be there??? If not, is the lighter socket not fitted? lighting and power there too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply firstcar'

I would have thought/hoped that the loom was the same as the 1000S and would have been there waiting for a bit of plug and play, but unfortunately not.

Once the dash was off, there was only the red/green permanent live and black earth wiring for the radio - which I am guessing a previous owner has used for the lighter (the CL wasn't sold with a 'cigar lighter', there's not one on the original invoice and it looks after market). So, no additional yellow/black illumination wiring and the lighter surround is not illuminated either ...... yet :D

I have utilised that permanent feed for the clock and the radio, with the latters ignition feed taken off of the heater fan switch.

Back