Technical Ignition unit replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition unit replacement

Animatom

Dear Croma friends...

greetings from Zagreb, Croatia. Just one question, please. After reading all relevant posts, I am still not sure - is it possible to re-code the new but used part of the ignition switch without the expensive ordering of the original part from Fiat?
I manage to spill coffee into the key lock and after a lousy attempt to clean it by myself, I am forced to buy a new one. Now... can I buy a used part and recode it by some master electronic guy? If I had to buy it from Fiat it will be almost expensive as the car itself....
(19D multijet, 2006, automatic)

Hi,
Unfortunatly no, you cannot get a used TEG (key reader) module re-coded to work with your car.
You would have to replace the whole set of TEG, steering lock, ECU, body computer and keys from another car.
Have you checked on the cost of a new TEG? It may not be as expensive as you think.
It's a shame you did not ask advice before cleaning the old one. How did you clean it?
Can you post pictures of the circuit board? There is a very small chance it could be recovered.

Robert G8RPI.

Thank you for the answer!
Yes, I was pretty stupid, cleaning it by myself. A mistake I will not repeat. TEG is now at car electronic guy, he is trying to recover it. Will see how it goes... If nothing, I will buy all these parts and (not by myself :) ) replace them.
I will post here results, together with all numbers, as a warning for some future DIY genius like me.

Make sure you check the price for a new one from Fiat. I was quite surprised how affordable a body computer was.
Hi. Do you know if one can still buy a body computer for Croma 1,9 MJTD from 2007 and where can I find informations.

Back