General If the government introduced the scrappage scheme again

Currently reading:
General If the government introduced the scrappage scheme again

Yep, they're definitely fading away...

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=fiat+croma

Prestigios are under various different names, but all are heading down. At a quick guess, they're all about 10% below peak. 1187 modern Cromas in total.

The old model graph is noticeably different - you can tell which is which. Time goes right-to-left, which is a bit strange to me.

Last edited:
I'm very sure mine won't be the last one standing anyway.

I watched that "Bang Goes The Theory" science-presented-as-though-you're-retarded programme the other day, and the shouty presenter was standing in a scrapyard to make some tenuously related point about bone strength. What was most interesting was just how decent all the stacked up cars behind her looked - I'd be proud to have any of them in my drive.

Rust is almost a thing of the past today, so cars don't fall apart like they did in the past. Halilson's car is a very good example of what happens - it's a good car, running fine but it's got a dent. So scrap it and buy another ??!?!! Parts prices are probably the real enemy, plus our obsession with cosmetic appearance. I was stood by the skip full of plastic bumpers outside a bodyshop once and it was appalling to see - most weren't even cracked but just surface grazes. So chuck it in a skip, bury it in a hole in the ground and make a new one, then spray paint it. So we're getting a 5p tax on carrier bags soon, but this madness is fine to carry on - how many carrier bags could you make from the plastic in a bumper?

I'm actually enjoying having a car I'm not too bothered about. I look after it, but I spend nothing on wax polish and accessories, and don't care if a tree rubs it or there's a bumper scuff.

I've just noticed a bit of flaking paint above the boot handle. This might have been a trip to the bodyshop in the past but now it's a dab of Kurust and some touch up paint, don't care if it's visible, just as long as it doesn't rust.

Last edited:
You may see a Croma outlasting a Alfa 159.

At least a Croma was well under sealed, unlike a 159, too many soon will be in the scrap yard as an uneconomical repair to the chassis and sub frames.!

Back