General Ideal mods for UT engine?

Currently reading:
General Ideal mods for UT engine?

Icsunonove

Hey guys/gals

I have recently bought an UT turbo, exhaust manifold, dump pipe and intake manifold with the view of fitting them in my X19, with the 1500cc engine. Soon I will be rebuilding the 1500 (again....) with new pistons to lower the compression ratio. What else is worth doing while we are in there? I have limited experiance with turbo engines and what to do with them, but am looking to learn! My dad and I will be building the engine ourselves, and I dont mind if its not much fun on the road as the car will see track use.

I have heard the X19 1500 camshaft is considered an upgrade for the UT. But going past this, what is a better cam again? Does the big valves and port/polish that works so well on the NA X work equally as well on the boosted UT?

Thanks very much!

why dont you use the 1300 uno turbo engine? whats the point in doing turbo charging a naturally aspirated engine when fiat has done it all for you with the unoturbo 1300 engine? especially when you say you have little experience with them!

as for mods a stainless steel exhaust system, K&N filter or simular and increasing the boost will give you a good increase in power approx 130-140bhp.

IMO you would be better off with a fast road cam i.e kent or piper. then a alloy intercooler from pace or forge motorsport, or front mount intercooler etc

upgrading to a hybrid turbo and more boost,

changing the engine management to omex, megasquirt or DTA.

its possible to take the original 105bhp to 200 and beyond with the above.

thanks for the help, and a kind of long story....

my 1500 engine only has about 15,000km on it since its last full rebuild. I was going to go the whole big carbies/lumpy cam route, and then a friend convinced me turbo would get much more power for similar money. His dad had all the turbo stuff for sale at a very reasonably price, so money was exchanged and three days later a turbo arrived! But then again I am kind of thinking the extra torque of the 1500 over the 1300 could produce more power anyway.

As for mods, it sounds like I am already planning most of what you mentioned. I will need a new exhaust system anyway, and it sounds like stainless is the way to go. I have a fairly large intercooler (nothing crazy, but adequate) for it, which will be mounted in the boot. I will be running a programmable microtech ECU, and was considering upping the boost. Not that I will go this far, but what is the max boost the UT turbo can produce?

Is it worth going for lighter rods and all that jazz?

standard turbo is good for about 14psi, however at high rpms it wont hold this amount and drops to about 11psi at the redline.

you could go for lightened and balanced bottom end but it is not necessary. the 1300 unoturbo engine is very good in standard form. my mk1 uno turbo only has increase boost, an induction kit and a stainless exhaust and i've pushed civic type r's down the road.

Hello! I'm from Argentina, this is my first post here...
I want to tell you that, here in Argentina, we make an engine upgrade using that 1500 engine. Here, we make a displacement modifying the 1500 steel crankshaft and we can have an engine with 1800cc displacement or we can use the 1100 crankshaft, with some modification, and have 1720cc. It will give you a lot of torque, hp and high rev engine (~8500).

I'm not sure, but, depending of your cylinder head, u will have to find some place to put de knock sensor because maybe it hasn't the original place to put it.

I want to tell you that, here in Argentina, we make an engine upgrade using that 1500 engine. Here, we make a displacement modifying the 1500 steel crankshaft and we can have an engine with 1800cc displacement or we can use the 1100 crankshaft, with some modification, and have 1720cc. It will give you a lot of torque, hp and high rev engine (~8500).

I'm not sure, but, depending of your cylinder head, u will have to find some place to put de knock sensor because maybe it hasn't the original place to put it.

Hi Emix,

Can I find anywhere detailed information about these mods?
Some website or something?
Because this is really interesting and I like to know what turbocharger you are using?

Cheers, JC

thanks for the help, and a kind of long story....

As for mods, it sounds like I am already planning most of what you mentioned. I will need a new exhaust system anyway, and it sounds like stainless is the way to go. I have a fairly large intercooler (nothing crazy, but adequate) for it, which will be mounted in the boot. I will be running a programmable microtech ECU, and was considering upping the boost. Not that I will go this far, but what is the max boost the UT turbo can produce?

Is it worth going for lighter rods and all that jazz?

The x19 engine is a route to more power- albeit not very popular - with the Punto tuners. 88mm forged pistons, 1600 crank, use the piston oil sprayers from a 1600, some grinding to give the crank room to spin, or use the 1500 crank, potr (power on the road) head. Mitsu hybrid turbo, potr exhaust manifold, wire gaskets and the ecu of you choice. Add money, patience and stir. Power is (by consensus) in excess of 250/280 bhp.

Standard rods are reckoned to be good enough for this.

I am also very very keen for some more details!!!

Just thought i'd say the 1300 turbo lump will always have more torque than a N/A tuned 1500 ...

All the above advice is very good but just don't forget the key issue with turbo's the fuelling make sure this is spot on or engine rebuilds will become your weekend hobby (n)

The more mods u stick on the more problems your gonna have. Personally i think unos are best suited to a quality zorst n filter,
dump valve (obviously)
bleed valve runnin at 1.2 bar,
fse to fuel for the higher boost,
nice intercooler (not an easy job)
some coilovers and strut brace to improve handling,
some grooved discs as standard brakes are a bit naff.

Get all that sorted n ull have a sexy uno on your hands. Ive been t28 hybrid n nitrous before and the cars just not reliable anymore. I think they perform pretty well when u do what ive listed above, if u want more, buy a coupe ;)

Back