i have a seicento sporting, will putting abarth alloys on my car increase my premium

Currently reading:
i have a seicento sporting, will putting abarth alloys on my car increase my premium

Orgazmo

will it increase my insurance premium or will it be classed as an optional extra at the point of manufacture

also will installing an abarth exhaust increase premium ( i imagine yes but just checking as it could be classed as optional extra)

all replies are appreciated

Last edited:
I understand it that no it shouldnt as they are still an original fiat parts but dnt quote me on that.

abarth exhaust is same as a sporting one, the only difference is it has a chrome tip on the end which you can get from anywhere

Hi

If you change the car and dont tell them you are not insured, if you tell them and they say that is ok, you need it in writing and they may charge you for the letter, one off.

If you are gonna run a custom you are gonna pay more for ins.

Noel

The straight answer is yes you should tell the insurance and it could cost more

But if you think there are so many manufacture and dealer options available on cars these days how how the hell 10years down the line and with 5 previous owners are you suppose to know whether these were the wheels that the car was fitted with at the factory or not?

I can understand insurers getting funny over after market wheels but manufacturer wheels that actually could have fitted to that car originally when new I feel should be considered differently, this is a real minefield

Last edited:
are you suppose to know whether these were the wheels that the car was fitted with at the factory or not?

If you bought it new and had the Abarth wheels factory fitted or dealer fitted before delivery then you needed to tell the ins company that.

If you dont know what the original fitting is/was then that is your problem not the insurance companies. Additionally the car is only homologated for a limited set of type sizes, if you have non standard sizes, you need to tell the company. If they might have affected handling or braking prior to an accident that would be your problem as well, even if you have told them, a good brief might get you off the hook but he would be expensive.

A custom car is a minefield.

Noel

If you bought it new and had the Abarth wheels factory fitted or dealer fitted before delivery then you needed to tell the ins company that.

If you dont know what the original fitting is/was then that is your problem not the insurance companies. Additionally the car is only homologated for a limited set of type sizes, if you have non standard sizes, you need to tell the company. If they might have affected handling or braking prior to an accident that would be your problem as well, even if you have told them, a good brief might get you off the hook but he would be expensive.

A custom car is a minefield.

Noel

I got to agree with allenhelen, you just say to the insurance is factory standard and has factory fitted alloys, as they are still fiat alloys. That's how i see it.

Ming

Depends if you declare them or not.

Wheels can always be changed back at a later date i.e before insurance assesors come round.

Unless your putting like 26" chrome HUMMER rims on something then I personally wouldn't say anything.

really,so when a wheel is mangled up into the bodywork you will just be 'changing' it?

Depends if you declare them or not.

Wheels can always be changed back at a later date i.e before insurance assesors come round.

A partialy burnt out wreck sitting on 4 sparkling alloys and undamged tyres might also raise a few eyebrows.

It's amazing how many people try to play the system now. You know no matter how much money you think you would be saving, you will actually end up paying out more, either paying to make a cover up (im sure angle grinding a set of alloys isnt cheap etc) or getting your insurance voided so you have to pay it yourself.

If you want nice things, pay for them. You will end up feeling alot better in yourself knowing that there is no need to worry. In the big picture, its all these people playing the system are causing the high costs in the first place, so you are not really helping the situation either way by avoiding it.

and do you keep one in the car with the spare alloys?
are you really this naive?

no actually, but my opinion - which may be and probably is wrong - I wouldn't say anything.

If seicento abarth alloys were visually much different to normal sporting wheels then I would enquire.

You could ring them up, spend half an hour on the phone to find out they wont insure you or your premiums gone up by £100.

Then again it might not have done. It's up to you :)

Last edited:
Back