General How well do you think the Seicento would do in long journeys?

Currently reading:
General How well do you think the Seicento would do in long journeys?

Before a complete numbnuts ran a red light just before Xmas and turned it into a Cat A write off, my 899 cento experienced semi regular (4-6mths) runs from here in sunny Manchester up to Glasgow, down to Dover and back to Manchester.
I won't claim that the seats are the most comfortable in the world for long trips, but the car handled it without a problem.
Jesus that's awful mate, I hope you didn't come out of that with much damage. A cars replaceable, you're not!

Jesus that's awful mate, I hope you didn't come out of that with much damage. A cars replaceable, you're not!

As per other thread, i managed to escape with just a gash on the knee and a broken finger (although the entire hand is in a cast at the mo, thanks to the location of the break).
Both myself and the emergency services personnel that attended were more than mildly surprised that i wasn't more injured, given the extent of the damage.

As per other thread, i managed to escape with just a gash on the knee and a broken finger (although the entire hand is in a cast at the mo, thanks to the location of the break).
Both myself and the emergency services personnel that attended were more than mildly surprised that i wasn't more injured, given the extent of the damage.

Glad it wasn't too bad mate. Good to know these little cars can still protect you :)

To be honest with you mate, if you are 18 and a fresh driver then you are probably the weakest link in this combination. Make sure you find a comfortable position for self and take good care of the car. If it breaks it matters little if you are 30 or 200 miles from home.

I'd repeat Woj's advice here. Just chill, Cruise along. Honestly I find that as it's so busy on the motorway these days I'd just chill in L1 and cruise at like 65.

Just wondering, why wouldn't you think the car wouldn't be alright for longer journeys?

Good to know these little cars can still protect you :)
No they can't....
Don't crash and hope someone else doesn't crash into you.

Just because of how old the car is and that its 900cc. Not sure if it would be able to chug at 60mph for two hours.
The 899 engine loves to scream along all day.
For my run to Germany & back it was way way over 60mph.... For a large part of the run it was off the end of the speedo......!!

But as already said, the weakest part of the car and driver combination is probably you, so take it easy...

Last edited:
The 899 engine loves to scream along all day.
For my run to Germany & back it was way way over 60mph.... For a large part of the run it was off the end of the speedo......!!

But as already said, the weakest part of the car and driver combination is probably you, so take it easy...

I completely agree, going to need some lessons on the motorway!

Just because of how old the car is and that its 900cc. Not sure if it would be able to chug at 60mph for two hours.

I wouldn't worry, up until a recent forced sale (due to ill health :cry:) I had a 1992 Fiat Panda, 23 years old and a 769cc engine, it was my only car and I drove it daily for 3 years, it'd happily thunder along at 70mph (excluding the odd hill that'd stump the impressive 34hp) for the 200 mile journey I'd do fortnightly, I seriously wouldn't worry about your comparatively modern Seicento so long as, as has been already mentioned, all your fluids are topped up and just generally being careful like keeping an eye on the temp gauge (do Seicento's have temp gauges?) etc.

For reference the Panda 750 (769cc) is a carburetted engine with a manual choke so no fancy pants fuel injection that Cinq's and Sei's are blessed with and it'd manage those 200 mile fortnightly trips whatever the weather at 70-80mph which equals 4000-4500rpm in top gear (y)

This is a picture of my dashboard :)

http://i.imgur.com/NL4zq2fh.jpg
Exactly.
No temperature gauge.

One thing you need to watch for is that the temperature sensor on the Sei is just a thermal switch, but on the Cinq is a variable resistance sensor for the gauge.
If a Sei gets fitted with the Cinq sensor, the temperature warning light starts to glow dimly when the engine is warming up.

It has come up a lot on here!!

Hey guys,

The Seicento is getting pretty old now, I had a full car last night and the poor thing did not like it when I was turning corners.

Because I am only 18 I was thinking about going on road trips with a few friends as I will be the first to pass in my group.

How well do you all think the Seicento would do in long distance travel? Going down the M6 for a good few hours doing about 200 miles for the journey?

Of course I know that every car is different and it could just be luck of the draw. Recently serviced with no advisories, oil and what not changed.

Over all could the Seicento do this? Would it break down or have problems?

Thanks, Brandon.
I have flogged my sciento back and forth Swansea/Luton airport over 400 mile round trip at 70/80 mph over the last two years, brilliant. Taking toll now though.

Back