General How to tell if Stilo is made for the UK

Currently reading:
General How to tell if Stilo is made for the UK

steve26

How to tell if car is built is a UK car and not intended for another country? I possible thought the vin?

Wiki is your friend:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number[/ame]

However, on a quick read it looks like the only reference to a country is country of origin (manufacture) not intended market.

there's not many countries in the world that drive on the left and have the wheel on the right, I know the US and Canada drive on right and use both LHD and RHD vehicles as standard

there's not many countries in the world that drive on the left and have the wheel on the right, I know the US and Canada drive on right and use both LHD and RHD vehicles as standard

What part of America did you see a RHD car? I have been all over the place and never once seen one. Never seen a Fiat there either although older Americans have memories of one from the 70s, and they do have 500s there now.

I've seen a few RHD's over there

Really? Which states? You stated in your earlier post that LHD and RHD were both standard. If they were both standard you would see more than a 'few'. It wouldnt make sense to have RHD cars as standard in a country that drives on the right.

Last edited:
the post vans are right hand drive so they dont have to get out the van to put the letters in the box, I saw it in lake havasu.

but for the whole 3 and a half weeks i was there and the 3 different states i went to i never saw a RHD car.

also only saw one fiat which was a 500 and it was going down the las vegas strip.

Ireland, Malta, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Cyprus, India (and others) all drive on the left.

Except for Ireland, none of the other names would really be interested in the Stilo. Maybe a couple of them in Cyprus. :p

So I guess the best way to tell is to look at the steering wheel. :rolleyes:

They drive where ever the hell they like, takes some getting used too.

Careful now, Africa is a big place. (Some will say bigger than that island of the coast of France.) Here in South Africa we drive like angels. Never ever do we speed, stop where ever we want to, don't use flickers, overtake uphill, overload our cars, yes, angel drivers we all are. ;)

Not all African States drive on the right hand side. Just the old British Colonies. The old French colonies all drive on the left.

... Never seen a Fiat there either although older Americans have memories of one from the 70s, and they do have 500s there now...

After the early 70's Fiats something somewhere went awry, Fiats (incl. Lancia and Alfa iirc) started to fall short of the 'Lemon Law' and consequently were effectively banned from selling in the US. Fiat never bothered to renew the paperwork to sell in the states. You cant import or buy fiats from when ever it was in the 70's they got booted out untill 2009. '09 being when Fiat decided to help themselves to a 20% share of GM, offering GM engines and chassis and other useful tidbits of knowledge and information. since their 'partnership' with GM it kinda comes with the territory that they should start selling in the US so thats why J-Lo advertises the new 500 and why the new Chrysler Ypsilon is sooo reminiscent of the new 500 and probably why Chrysler has taken on Lancias model names of Ypsilon and Delta.

its a little more complicated than that and ill let you wiki 'Lemon Law' but thats the fundamentals for you :)

i stand corrected! i do apologise. a result of the combination of early mornings, late nights and the miscommunication between my brain and hands :(

it was SUPPOSED to read:-
'09 being when Fiat decided to help themselves to a 20% share of Chrysler, offering Chrysler engines and chassis and other useful tidbits of knowledge and information. since their 'partnership' with Chrysler it kinda comes with the territory that they should start selling in the US...

they did have a bit of a fling with ford before the chrysler deal and im pretty sure thats why the JTD lumps were pretty much identical to the Vauxhall diesel of the same era.

as always... if someone knows any better don't be affraid to gently prod me ;)

Last edited:
These Countries Drive on the Left, whether RHD or LHD is another question :

Anguilla
Antigua & Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bermuda
Bhutan
Bophuthatswana
Botswana