Technical How to proceed with a broken door lock (94 Panda)?

Currently reading:
Technical How to proceed with a broken door lock (94 Panda)?

genehugger

Below is the photo of my car key and the lock mechanism that would normally be a part of my driver's side door. Obviously, it is broken beyond repair. In addition, the interior lock button can no longer be pushed down.

panda_key-1.jpg

I took the door apart today and no amount of WD40 could get the vertical bar that connects to the interior lock to move. I think that, at one point in time, I turned the key and it busted the cylinder from the housing, resulting in the ability to remove the lock from the door (shown in the above photo)

Anyway, this key opens the 3 doors and starts the ignition and I am totally clueless as to how to proceed...Do I need to go to a junk yard and get a door with a key and just have an additional key for my car? Can I install new locks throughout the car? Should I try to put in power locks?

I post here in hope of find some guidance. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

New locks is the way to go....Ebay does new sets....or get one of us to send you one secondhand lock and key..just means you will have differant keys for each door which is no real problem as this is the way some of us cope!!!!
I know someone who sells new sets or even i might have a old one for you...(y)

kev

Hello again jimi fan,

To answer your question from the other thread, I am in fact an american living in france. My french language skills get me by, but in terms of car parts, I am lost, and thus on the UK forums.

Back to the issue, I would be very interested if you could send me a link to an ebay seller or any information about where to order the replacement lock, would this be just the piece that is now easily removable, as shown in the photo, or the entire contraption that includes the interior lock push button as well as the piece that mounts on the door (3 hex bolts) and then horizontally connects over to the interior door opening lever?

In fact, there is a bit of plastic siding on the catch of the door that is busted and since the interor lock also doesnt seem to work, I think I need to swap out the entire mechanism.

Thanks for the link, I have ordered the complete set, dunno if i replace them all at once or what, but at least I will have them.

Also, went ahead and ordered the Haynes book. The car needs a break job and new shocks so that should be quite useful for that.

Am about to break apart this door and see if I can not get the vertical rod that connects to the interior lock fixed as the key/locks set will not replace that component and it does not function.

More as it happens, and thanks!

[UPDATE]

So got the entire mechanism out of the door, not so easy the first time, but should be a piece of cake next time when the new locks arrive. Basically, wd40-ed the heck out of it and moved all of the pieces about 10 times, somehow, in my hands it started to work and re-installed it, now I can lock the door (from the inside at least)

Basically, success has been had.

Last edited:
This is excactly the same thing thats wrong with mine. I havent tried to fix it yet but I think it should be possible to keep my original key. Simply by relocating the sliders from my mechanisim into the new one. I have done this before on a vauxhall after the locks were punched.

Also have u only tried to push the pin down with the door open? As the lock needs to be closed before it will go down (to stop you locking yourself out I suspect). Try to push it down when the door is closed, thats what Ive been doing, and geting out passenger side. Handy enoughsince they haveno centre console!(y)

Essentially, I had 2 problems, 1) the key slider mechanism broke out of the door lock and 2) the catch inside the door was not functioning, the interior lock would not budge (door closed). With the mechanism out, it was clear that the catch had 3 positions open, clamped, and locked. Even manually locking it, I could not get it to unlock with the level normally connected to the interior lock until some wd40 and manually fussing finally got it to start moving again.

For me, keeping the key is not a solution, as I have basically destroyed the interface between the sliders and the door lock.

If you plan to disassemble, the two things I had to learn the hard way are:

1) there is a U shaped, metal clamp that holds the exterior, keyed door lock to the door. This clamp is inside the door and slides toward the front of the car.
2) The white plastic piece that connects the door lock to the mechanism is a ball-socket type connection, it is tight in there, but just force/push the plastic bar off the little metal ball (which you cant see cause it is inside the plastic bar) and it will come off.

Sorry for my lack of vocabulary, I ordered the Haynes book and will eventually learn what all these thingys/do-dads are called.

Hoping someone can help with a used Panda door lock ... the barrel and spring all exploded out of the hole and am a bit fed up of being that eccentric woman who always climbs out of the passenger door, lol.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance :eek:

Hoping someone can help with a used Panda door lock ... the barrel and spring all exploded out of the hole and am a bit fed up of being that eccentric woman who always climbs out of the passenger door, lol.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance :eek:

Can always swap lock from passenger side over to drives side door to save you having to climb across (y)

Back