General How to deal with rusty bits?

Currently reading:
General How to deal with rusty bits?

dac69er

Established member
How would people deal with this rusty bit?

Rest of the metal is pretty solid around the holes, but is obviously not perfect. Holes only appeared when I went at it with a rotary wire brush.

Any suggestions or advice? I am able to do the work myself, but my fabrication skills are only ok.

Attachments

• 20210505_182342.jpg
    20210505_182342.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 181
I'd use Bilt Hamber's Hydrate 80 to kill the rust, then paint it with something like Hammerite. It will be fine for the next 5+ years.

I decided to go balls deep and cut a section out.
It was a little outside my comfort zone, but managed to fabricate a patch section and weld it in.

Now the holes are gone, I am going to use kurust, then some zinc spray, stone chip shield and then a coat of underseal.

Considering it had holes in it, the metal wasn't that bad. In hindsight I could have probably just filled them with jb weld as the integrity of the steel was still good. Never mind!

Will get some pics once it is done

been a bit slow replying. i only took a pic when i was part done welding and ran out of mig wire.

it now all welded, painted, undersealed and back together. ive now got to refresh the front suspension and she is ready for another winter!

it all worked out pretty well considering my minimal fabrication skills. you cant even tell it has been done now it is all back together
thumb.gif

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 50
Back