Technical How good is the tailgate seal

Currently reading:
Technical How good is the tailgate seal

I am currently working on the metalwork under the tailgate and finding it extremely rusty. It appears that Fiat expected water to collect above the engine bay and left drain holes in the cross-member to allow it to get away. It obviously lingers and caused corrosion.
Can anyone say if the water only gets in when you open the tailgate or is it continuous problem? If that's the case I'm thinking of fitting drain pipes as I repair it.

Hi Peter

When we bought Connie the seals around the rear tailgate/hatch were badly compressed and couldn't make a good seal and looked like they let water in previously. The previous owners added a rubber flap above the tailgate, pop riveted just below the gutter which helped.

I've fitted all new seals and the fit is really tight so I hope no water will get in. I'll know better once Connie has all the windows in and I can get the hosepipe on her to check for leaks. Better seals should also reduce the risk of backdraft from the exhaust as well.

One area that I know could be a potential problem with Connie is with the passenger door. It's bowed out at the top and leaves a 1/2" gap. I suspect that it was always like this but I wish I had spotted it before I'd carried out the respray - I could have 'persuaded' it to fit better. Hopefully I won't get any water in but it will no doubt create unwelcome wind noise.

Cheers

Back