General Fiat 1100T, the pretty far gone furgone

Currently reading:
General Fiat 1100T, the pretty far gone furgone

telemike4

Hi all
There is not really anywhere on the web for 1100Ts so I decided here is the best spot. I have just bought a 1965-ish Fiat 1100T. It is pretty far gone, hence the name - the Pretty Far Gone Furgone. I'm hoping it is not too far gone and some of the restorations on here have given me hope.

A bit of general 1100T history. They were built initially using the 1100 engine, and subsequently a 1220 engine, then the engine out of the Fiat 1300 and later the 1500, and finally a diesel. They had a payload of about 1100kg and were geared low to achieve this. Top speed was about 100kph. They are pretty much exactly the same size as a bay window VW bus.

There is very little available on the web about these vans. A facebook group that is pretty much limited to photos. One restoration in NZ on Oldschool.nz.co by Kyle, and one contact (Luca) I made in Italy who is also restoring one.

This one has been sitting for a very long time outside somewhere in Australia, probably in NSW. There are holes in the roof, floor and chassis. The wheels have rusted away where they were sitting in the dirt. The side windows have been removed leaving it open to the rain.

The previous owner made a very small start on dismantling the van but seemed to only have wire cutters. All of the wires have been cut near the lights, behind all the switches. behind the dash, everywhere. I am sure he had a plan but I'm not sure what it was.

I think it was fitted out as a camper at one stage as it has definitely been lined in wood on the walls and a fabric hood lining, and there are signs cupboards were once bolted in.

Mechanically, I am told the engine is not seized. One spark plug is missing and the brake shoes have been removed from one wheel (presumably to free them so that it rolls). The rubber perimeter of the air cleaner has degraded to the consistency of chewing gum. But with no wiring, having a crack at starting it is a while off. It sure would make it easier to move around.

Despite the extent of the rust, the construction seems largely to use simple shapes of panels that are largely folded and curved in only one direction.

The plan is to initially get it roadworthy and registered with the current ratty paint-job. I might then get some sign-writing done that looks aged so that it looks like a barn-find Abarth service vehicle. These vans were used as race service vehicles for Maserati, Abarth and Fiat in Italy.

But first, I need to finish restoring my 500 (it is at the reassembly stage) and kick off a knock-down rebuild of our house. These were the conditions on which I bought the van. So not much might happen to it for a couple of years.

Some titles for the pictures:
Mr wire-cutter's work
dodgy sliding door lock
some surface rust that can be fixed with JB weld
evidence of hinges just inside the sliding door, where a fold down step may have been
air conditioning
Mr Wire Cutter's work again
Oh yes, it is a little askew where the forklift seems to have tweaked the rusty chassis
On the trailer ready to come home
inside picture.
just behind the passenger door
The mighty beast of an engine.

Attachments

• 1685446103054.jpeg
    1685446103054.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 1685446245042.jpeg
    1685446245042.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1685446263440.jpeg
    1685446263440.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 1685446276693.jpeg
    1685446276693.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1685446292134.jpeg
    1685446292134.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 64
  • 1685446317052.jpeg
    1685446317052.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1685446330675.jpeg
    1685446330675.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1685446921237.jpeg
    1685446921237.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 1685446956167.jpeg
    1685446956167.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 1685446988113.jpeg
    1685446988113.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 1685447006150.jpeg
    1685447006150.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hi all
There is not really anywhere on the web for 1100Ts so I decided here is the best spot. I have just bought a 1965-ish Fiat 1100T. It is pretty far gone, hence the name - the Pretty Far Gone Furgone. I'm hoping it is not too far gone and some of the restorations on here have given me hope.

A bit of general 1100T history. They were built initially using the 1100 engine, and subsequently a 1220 engine, then the engine out of the Fiat 1300 and later the 1500, and finally a diesel. They had a payload of about 1100kg and were geared low to achieve this. Top speed was about 100kph. They are pretty much exactly the same size as a bay window VW bus.

There is very little available on the web about these vans. A facebook group that is pretty much limited to photos. One restoration in NZ on Oldschool.nz.co by Kyle, and one contact (Luca) I made in Italy who is also restoring one.

This one has been sitting for a very long time outside somewhere in Australia, probably in NSW. There are holes in the roof, floor and chassis. The wheels have rusted away where they were sitting in the dirt. The side windows have been removed leaving it open to the rain.

The previous owner made a very small start on dismantling the van but seemed to only have wire cutters. All of the wires have been cut near the lights, behind all the switches. behind the dash, everywhere. I am sure he had a plan but I'm not sure what it was.

I think it was fitted out as a camper at one stage as it has definitely been lined in wood on the walls and a fabric hood lining, and there are signs cupboards were once bolted in.

Mechanically, I am told the engine is not seized. One spark plug is missing and the brake shoes have been removed from one wheel (presumably to free them so that it rolls). The rubber perimeter of the air cleaner has degraded to the consistency of chewing gum. But with no wiring, having a crack at starting it is a while off. It sure would make it easier to move around.

Despite the extent of the rust, the construction seems largely to use simple shapes of panels that are largely folded and curved in only one direction.

The plan is to initially get it roadworthy and registered with the current ratty paint-job. I might then get some sign-writing done that looks aged so that it looks like a barn-find Abarth service vehicle. These vans were used as race service vehicles for Maserati, Abarth and Fiat in Italy.

But first, I need to finish restoring my 500 (it is at the reassembly stage) and kick off a knock-down rebuild of our house. These were the conditions on which I bought the van. So not much might happen to it for a couple of years.

Some titles for the pictures:
Mr wire-cutter's work
dodgy sliding door lock
some surface rust that can be fixed with JB weld
evidence of hinges just inside the sliding door, where a fold down step may have been
air conditioning
Mr Wire Cutter's work again
Oh yes, it is a little askew where the forklift seems to have tweaked the rusty chassis
On the trailer ready to come home
inside picture.
just behind the passenger door
The mighty beast of an engine.
Nice to have something different, but looks like a few days work.;)

Love an 1100t but they're very rare in the UK.
It's in much better nick than the 850t I'm currently working my way through so good luck, well worth saving.

A few 1100Ts about in Australia. At least two have gone to WA from Victoria in the past couple of years. Geoff Hall at the Fiat Club of the ACT can put you in touch if you need any bits and pieces. I am president of the Fiat Car Club of Victoria and while I have an 850T Camper I have passed on a couple of 1100T opportunities. I am also curious about your information for the 1500cc and Diesel versions of the 1100T, I am pretty sure the last of them had the 1300 .... although a number wewre 'upgraded' to the 1500 or even twin cam motors.

Thanks Roger, What I mentioned about the 1500 and diesel was based on what I read on the internet. And that is very limited.

If you are aware of anyone that might have some wheels that would be great. The lips of mine have rusted away. The PCD (4x150) is not used on any other car that I am aware of. I can get new barrels put on but the cost is over $1000 for 4.

Michael

Thanks Roger, What I mentioned about the 1500 and diesel was based on what I read on the internet. And that is very limited.

If you are aware of anyone that might have some wheels that would be great. The lips of mine have rusted away. The PCD (4x150) is not used on any other car that I am aware of. I can get new barrels put on but the cost is over $1000 for 4.

Michael
Hi Michael

I will see what I can find. I have a feeling there was a few FIAT models that had that bolt up but maybe not the same sized wheels. From memory they are 14" .... is that right?

Cheers

Yes, 14x4.5 but with different tyres anything with that pcd can probably be made to fit.

thanks

I think some mazda and mitsubishi vans use that pattern.
They'll aall likely use a wider wheel but they may have thinner spacesaver spares

Yes, 14x4.5 but with different tyres anything with that pcd can probably be made to fit.

thanks
Ok, my thoughts were proven correct. The FIAT 1400 and 1900 both had the same 4 x 150 pattern on 14" wheels. I doubted very much the they hadn't come from a concurrent model. How many do you need as I can help with the search.

Back