General horrible knocking noise under throttle body! Bravo

Currently reading:
General horrible knocking noise under throttle body! Bravo

yawge

is one of the problems i have... The last on the list since i bought it (mustn't buy from ebay anymore...) 1.4SX R reg, I want to fix it cause it drives lovely - or did... I've checked the vacuum pipes, seem to be working, it's had a new coilpack, plugs and leads, the Throttle body has a lot of oil in it, looks like it's been dragged through the air system. I've cleaned that out and put a new air filter on it, but it now sounds like a diesel and chokes on revving. Any advice would be much appreciated, or if you know of a good cheap mechanic in the Swansea area....(y)

Hello,
Can you explain the noise under the throttle body? more. Does it click randomly when your key is set to mar? Is the ECU error light on or flash on when driving?

Oil in the thorttle boddie is not a good sign. Thats what I had when my engine failed. The engine bores where damaged so compresion was escaping into the crankcase and pushing oil out through the rocker cover and oil breather into the throttle body. This could also be caused by a failing head gasket.

Because there is oil in the throttle body I would advise you do a compresion test.

thanks for the response - the compression was tested a fortnight ago and was fine - all about the same result. The engine management light is not flashing, never has. There is a click at times with the key turned, but not always. I had the rocker off today and it was dirty and dark brown in there. I cleaned out the air pipes coming in, the small one that goes to the base of the throttle body was completely clogged with old sludge. I cleaned it out and while it is better, it certainly ain't fixed. The noise sounds like a rattle and a almost a backfire. I've only had the car a month and would like to strangle the little sh*t who sold it to me... I like it though! Would a new head sort out the problems you mentioned?
cheers

Here's what the rocker cover looks like... The air tubes from the throttle body were full of crap - makes me think the kindly previous owner may have driven it through a river... They're now clean as is the metal filter at the top of the housing. Is it advisable to remove the throttle body and give that a clean?? And if so, how? DSC_00018.jpg

DSC_00017.jpg

DSC_00019.jpg
The car seems to run a little better, but the noise and hesitation is still there. I'll make a video now...

just cleaned a load of sh*t out of the pipes leading to the throttlke body - any ideas?

It's dirt - i think, i'll check again,but my girlfriend just drove the thing and it broke down (why do they do that?? girlfriends that is.)It's now a horrendous knocking sound on throttle, and it won't go uphill. It sounds loudest under the throttle body - but could be being amplified by the manifold? Do i set fire to it? Try to fix it? Sell it for scrap?? Can't afford any option but to fix it myself really.

Hi all, if as suspected the camshaft is badly worn and the valves all crapped up as a result, would a new cylinder head and camshaft do the job?? I got a quote for £120 from 24/7 - is it worth it or should i just scrap the car/ sell for spares??

did you run the engine with the cover of?
you could have seen if any of the oles on the pipe are obstructed.. it happens on this engine :(

i did - it didn't look like it, but i was trying to keep it going at the same time... i also tried your tip of pouring oil on the camshaft while running which didn't make a difference - is it definitely a new head time? I've never done a job that big before, but also feel confident i can. slowly! Any tips at all?

A head swap should be straightforward on that engine, and the price quoted seems OK if the head is definitely good... You'll need new cambelt, tensioner, etc. This has all been covered in other threads here... also Haynes manual...

The engine and car looks quite clean, so it would be a shame to junk it...

There also seems to be a squeaking noise from the engine - dry or worn pulleys or something... There may still be a general lube problem to the head that you will need to investigate and solve.

cheers, going to give it a go - hate the idea of junking a decent car. What's the best way to trace a lube problem?

Back