Technical Horn setup on 05 ducato

Currently reading:
Technical Horn setup on 05 ducato

Ocwobio

Established member
Hello everyone.
I need (like really need) to upgrade the horn on my 05 Duc based Burstner Moho. It's big and white, weighs 5 tons, but the number of times idiots have pulled out of side roads in front of me beggars belief. The usual horn blast seems ineffective, so I am getting air horns, maybe even 2 sets, to make more racket! ( I have a vintage set of UK locomotive horns that I would love to fit, but would need an air supply- but how wonderful it would be.....)

My question- looking on eLearn at the wiring diagram, there is already a relay for the current horn, protected by a 15A fuse. (F5 IIRC).
So, can I use the output of this relay to power the new horn? I think one unit is less than 15A, if I fit x2, I will have to make additional provision I know. But for now, one will suffice. I hope!

Anyone done this? Any potential issues with my plan? I think the relay is on the same panel where F5 is to be found isn't it? and would said panel be right side or left side, on a RHD vehicle?
Any help welcome, as ever.
XCheers'n'beers!

Hello everyone.
I need (like really need) to upgrade the horn on my 05 Duc based Burstner Moho. It's big and white, weighs 5 tons, but the number of times idiots have pulled out of side roads in front of me beggars belief. The usual horn blast seems ineffective, so I am getting air horns, maybe even 2 sets, to make more racket! ( I have a vintage set of UK locomotive horns that I would love to fit, but would need an air supply- but how wonderful it would be.....)

My question- looking on eLearn at the wiring diagram, there is already a relay for the current horn, protected by a 15A fuse. (F5 IIRC).
So, can I use the output of this relay to power the new horn? I think one unit is less than 15A, if I fit x2, I will have to make additional provision I know. But for now, one will suffice. I hope!

Anyone done this? Any potential issues with my plan? I think the relay is on the same panel where F5 is to be found isn't it? and would said panel be right side or left side, on a RHD vehicle?
Any help welcome, as ever.
XCheers'n'beers!
Hi Ocwobio.
If you look at eLearn again, you will see that the horn relay and fuse F10 (15A) are located in B001, which is the engine bay fusebox. The horn is normally located inside LH front wing, and accessed by removing the front bumper. Given that your vehicle was an "A" class MH, you may have to take the whole lower front off. As I am sure you aware, space in the engine compartment and access is restricted. While I have intercepted the fog lamp wiring for DRL conversion on my PVC, I think that this would be difficult to copy for the horn wiring with the restricted access on your vehicle.

If you can position your new horn in place of the old one, the 1.5 sq mm wires should be OK for one new horn.

Apossible alternative would to consider an electronic horn, which may draw less current.

As regards compressor horns, I have read of these being fitted to a motorhome. You would only need one!

Attachments

• eLearn E3010 Horn.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 31
  • eLearn E3010 Horn Location.pdf
    79.9 KB · Views: 46
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Ocwobio.
If you look at eLearn again, you will see that the horn relay and fuse F10 (15A) are located in B001, which is the engine bay fusebox. The horn is normally located inside LH front wing, and accessed by removing the front bumper. Given that your vehicle was an "A" class MH, you may have to take the whole lower front off. As I am sure you aware, space in the engine compartment and access is restricted. While I have intercepted the fog lamp wiring for DRL conversion on my PVC, I think that this would be difficult to copy for the horn wiring with the restricted access on your vehicle.

If you can position your new horn in place of the old one, the 1.5 sq mm wires should be OK for one new horn.

Apossible alternative would to consider an electronic horn, which may draw less current.

As regards compressor horns, I have read of these being fitted to a motorhome. You would only need one!
Hi Ocwobio.

Hello there.
Yes, the curse of the A class may be about to strike again. I'll have a good look, and if it really is as bad access as that, I won't bother. That said, I have just bought 3 of the units you linked to! No drama as they were £10 for all 3, brand new and boxed. So I have an incentive! Cheers.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hello there.
Yes, the curse of the A class may be about to strike again. I'll have a good look, and if it really is as bad access as that, I won't bother. That said, I have just bought 3 of the units you linked to! No drama as they were £10 for all 3, brand new and boxed. So I have an incentive! Cheers.
That's a good buy, do you have a link for this please?

Back