Technical Horn push innards?

Currently reading:
Technical Horn push innards?

I have a car without a working horn. Only the wires are in the engine bay, so I bought a new horn and fitted spade connectors to the wires plugged in and nothing. Fuse is same as internal light I hear and that works, don't have a volt meter to check current at end of wires, but I'm dubious about the horn push itself, the wires are connected behind the steering wheel, but my horn push just pulls out and isn't attached leading me to think part of the mechanism may be missing? What should I expect inside the horn push? I have 2 springs which sit in place and a brass plate on the back of the button, am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

No that's right - the button bridges the gap between the springs and the centre. If you want to check the power supply you can use a test light with one end on the steering wheel centre nut and touch the other end to the plate at the base of one of the springs, should be power there.
Don't need a voltmeter, just one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Ca...397677?hash=item5883fb2a2d:g:B80AAOSwPcVVz072
makes life much easier tracking electrical gremlins.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
keep note that the horn is switched via an earth meaning you wont get much of a voltage through it if you are using a tester.

often when the horn is not working i find it is the spade connectors on the horn its self not making a contact.

as always, copper grease is your friend.

also on the slip ring on the steering wheel, make sure that the small brushes are contacting the slip ring.

turn the steering wheel while the button is pressed.. see if that works.

Back