General High level brake light - MOT

Currently reading:
General High level brake light - MOT

Hi guys

My sister's high level brake light on her grande isn't working. I have tried bulb replacement but no joy and read on another thread it could be a broken cable.

My question is would this be an MOT fail?

Thanks

Neil

Hi guys

My sister's high level brake light on her grande isn't working. I have tried bulb replacement but no joy and read on another thread it could be a broken cable.

My question is would this be an MOT fail?

Thanks

Neil

Hi,
High level stop lights are not mandatory for the MOT. If installed and connected they must work. If it's not clear if they are connected benefit goes to the presenter (you). So while I highly recommend you fix the problem (probably broken wire in tailgate), as a last resort you could disconnect the high level light, insulate the disconnected wire (PVC tape or similar), preferably leave the disconnected wire visible, and they cannot fail the car for that. Depending on the tester they might look harder at other possible issues though...
Reference is https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf
Section 1.2 6th paragraph of first (information) column.

Robert G8RPI.

The car probably has multiple wires broken off at the transition between the body and the hatch... after years of use the wires work-harden and they become brittle.

Get that fixed as soon as possible. It's not only a matter of lights or hatch sprayer not working, the car is at serious risk of catching fire.
There are loose frayed wires moving about...some of the wires are pretty thick and can easily carry enough current to start a fire.

To be clear: this is not a specific Grande Punto problem... i have personally fixed a GP, a Bravo and an Opel/Vauxhal Vectra.

Back