Panda (Classic) hi, noob from Gateshead

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) hi, noob from Gateshead

seanx

Hi fellas,
I just joined the forum and live up in the North East in Gateshead.
Have been wanting a classic Panda 4x4 for decades now so decided its time to seriously start looking.
I've restored several vehicles in the past, and will be letting my latest project - a series 2a land rover - go due to her being not really too practical with for family and trips over just a few miles, even though she's awesome in the muddy and snowy stuff with blindingly simple engineering!
I think a classic 4x4 Panda should tick all the boxes for me now :) and can't wait to find the right one.
The search begins....
Sean

Welcome to the forum (y)
If you fancy a trip down to London I've a Sisley restoration project I'm going to have to sell. I lost the garage I was keeping it in a few months back and I don't want it left out with just a cover on over the winter to deteriorate! I'll be putting an add up soon once I can get on the computer to put pictures up.
Good luck with your search (y)

:wave:Yay, more North Eastern Panda action! I'm just down in Durham so if you need a hand or a second eye for looking over prospective purchases I'm not far away.
Andrew.

Thanks for the nice welcome guys. (y) I'm looking forward to this new adventure and getting involved.
Brilliant.
Cheers,
Sean

Cheers again guys. Are there many more NE panderers (?) about? How would a 250mile trip in a Panda be? Just wondering as a previous old Suzuki Jeep I had would scream and drone on the motorway and could have done with an extra gear, and my Series IIa can barely reach 55mph...? Even so, I get the daftest smile and pleasure from driving her and expecting even more fun from a Panda.
Sean

Cheers again guys. Are there many more NE panderers (?) about? How would a 250mile trip in a Panda be? Just wondering as a previous old Suzuki Jeep I had would scream and drone on the motorway and could have done with an extra gear, and my Series IIa can barely reach 55mph...? Even so, I get the daftest smile and pleasure from driving her and expecting even more fun from a Panda.
Sean

Hi, Welcome to the Forum. (y)

Long distances in a Panda are no problem, in standard form 250 miles is about right. Knobbly tyres will up the pain a little, while better seating will have you comfortably driving all day. (y)

Hello & welcome :wave:

Vernon VmanC above is right (as usual!), they are fine on motorways. Not the last thing in speed, relaxation, or peace, but you're not looking for a modern repmobile. (y)

I've also done 250 mile trips, and that's ok. I wouldn't choose to go much further, but wouldn't hesitate if I needed to.

The 4x4 is capable of about 85/90 (even mine at 129k still does that fine). It's not particularly nice at that speed for long periods of time (not that I would, it's illegal you know! :eek: ). Mine is happiest at 65-75 and you do have enough go to briefly mix it with the faster stuff if you plan it a bit.

Tbh it's never going to be first choice for motorway work, but mine's first choice for most of my other journeys, however long they might be! :)

Thanks fellas - Wow - I never realised they could reach those kinds of speed!
I had many years use out of a Cinquecento and Seicento and found them great fun, guess the panda's driving experience isn't too far from the Cinquecento then?
Took my Old Landy out for a drive yesterday, I'll correct myself and say she 'might' manage 50 on a good day, and I was deaf and just slightly exhausted by the time I got back.. :eek:
Cheers guys.

Don't get me wrong, it takes a good while!! The engine sounds like it's about to destruct too, but Italian engines are designed for that. (y)

A non 4x4 will accelerate better and also feel more at home on the motorway. A 4x4 gathers speed rather than accelerating.

Oh and before you try it, the limit in 4wd is about 30mph. I'm sure you knew that already, but just in case....... :eek:

i've always seen cinqs as newer panda's myself, perhaps some of the panda people wll disagree with me but they are similar in many ways

panda's are just too big in comparison :p

Agreed, but not about the size!

You're right they are bigger - 7mm wider at the last count, but that lets you get more fridges in the back coz it's square! ;)

Panda's aren't too bad on the motorway, can't speak for 4x4's but a 5spd Panda isn't that bad, my 750 sits at 70/75 easily and will even rattle onto 80 just about, 90 if you're going down hill but at which point the engine is screaming along at 5200rpm and people think you're in 3rd gear or something :p

Back