hgt gearbox swap

Currently reading:
hgt gearbox swap

Calvieno

hi im new here and i was wondering would a gearbox out of a 2 liter alfa 155 fit in a 1.8 hgt?

the 1.8 16v twinspark uses the same block as the 1.8 16v fiat engine. the 2.0 16v twinspark is the same block as the 1.8 16v twinspark but with a longer piston stroke, this did not affect the gearbox bell housing. now working backwards, we know the 16v twinspark range uses the same block as the 8v twinspark range, so we can assume the 2.0 8v twinspark and 1.8 16v fiat engine both use the same block, well to be more accurate they were both developed from the original 1747cc fiat block and are from the same family. that is no guarantee that the gearbox bell housing on either is identicle, but there is a good chance it will be.

how can you decide before buying? in an ideal world you would compare them side by side, but it is good enough to compare the pics on eper.fiatforum.com because any significant difference will be easily identifed.

you also need to conisder driveshaft spline patterns, although in this situation i suspect you can swap bits over to accomodate a difference.

why would you want to fit the 155 box? dont consider it until you sit down and do the maths to determine what a difference it makes to the ratio of each gear, taking into account the difference in final gear ratio too (hence the maths)

Last edited:
thanks jug i wanted to fit the 155 box because i have a lsd but will not fit in the hgt gearbox and a mate of mine tried the lsd in his 155 gearbox when he was rebuilding it and it fitted

I have the internals of the gearbox and clutch from a 2ltr, the bell housing did not have the same mounting points as on the HGT.

if the 2.0 bell housing is different then the 1.8 will be too because they both use the same bell housing.

did all of the bolt holes differ or just one near the top front?

if the 2.0 bell housing is different then the 1.8 will be too because they both use the same bell housing.

did all of the bolt holes differ or just one near the top front?

I didn't do the job clovertech did.

All I know is they thought that it would be easy just to swap them over but the mounting points on the 2ltr bell housing were diffrent so they used the HGT bell housing and the internals of the 2ltr box.

Back