Help with police interview

Currently reading:
Help with police interview

Kier

Prominent member
I've got my interview and tests this Sunday to become a police special and having a few problems with the forms I need to send back before hand.

One of the questions asks:

'What you expect to be doing in your new role?'

I can see two possible questions...are they asking day to day, or in general? IE day to day could be, patrolling around the local area, assisting with anything that is needed, and in general it could be making the public feel safer.

If anyone is able to help that would be great :).

I think they are probably looking for stuff like helping people and serving the community. The old 'Protect and Serve' thing.

I would guess, and its only a guess, that they are looking for you to write something ledgible, in english, and that makes sense.

I am thinking that the police write a lot of reports, the police notebook comes to mind, and that being able to write accurately helps when it comes to reading back from the notebook.

Cheers

SPD

Also try and write in a manner that gets straight to the point, that sets the scene, views etc fully without using millions of words.
Im starting to get better on these forms. Had one failed application for a PC, and a current application for PCSO.

Also try and write in a manner that gets straight to the point, that sets the scene, views etc fully without using millions of words.
Im starting to get better on these forms. Had one failed application for a PC, and a current application for PCSO.

Yeah, dont have too much room to write in, so cant ramble too much.

Think I've nearly finished it now...just need to double check it and make sure it all makes sense.

Little annoyed that I didn't get much notice for it...wasn't expecting to get my interview until November or January time lol.

Does anyone have any general interview tips? Not really had much experience before. Know the basics...make eye contact when they are asking me a question. Shake hands, sit up right in the chair...hands on lap etc...not folded. Anything else?

Anything else?
Try not and blag it - if you genuinely don't know the answer to the question, or don't fully understand it, then make this clear.

Of course, if you are a "good" blagger....

As for the report, try and stick to bullet points - easier to read and assimilate.

Try not and blag it - if you genuinely don't know the answer to the question, or don't fully understand it, then make this clear.

As for the report, try and stick to bullet points - easier to read and assimilate.

borg.jpg

Some of the StuBorg comming out on here? :p

Just make sure you know about the role by doing some pre-read on the force you have applied for. The different areas it covers, what you expect to do etc. They may ask you a question on diversity, and always ensure you know the name of your Chief Constable.

I have looked at the Dorset Police website and the Specials section says

The Dorset Police Special Constabulary provides invaluable support to their colleagues in the regular force. The role they play is forever expanding as demands for Police Services increase. The most vital role they fulfill is the high profile, uniformed preventative patrol so often demanded by the community. However they can be called upon to perform a wide range of duties and their role can touch on all aspects of policing, including working with the Safer Neighbourhood Teams to improve the quality of life in our communities by working together to target those issues identified by local people.

http://www.dorset.police.uk/Default.aspx?page=303

Good Luck!

I'm crap at blagging :LOL:...got away with it a few times at college...but very different this time lol.

From the rest of the application I dont think they are looking for a bullet point answer, although these are only questions to give them stuff to ask me in my interview.

Just make sure you know about the role by doing some pre-read on the force you have applied for. The different areas it covers, what you expect to do etc. They may ask you a question on diversity, and always ensure you know the name of your Chief Constable.

I have looked at the Dorset Police website and the Specials section says

The Dorset Police Special Constabulary provides invaluable support to their colleagues in the regular force. The role they play is forever expanding as demands for Police Services increase. The most vital role they fulfill is the high profile, uniformed preventative patrol so often demanded by the community. However they can be called upon to perform a wide range of duties and their role can touch on all aspects of policing, including working with the Safer Neighbourhood Teams to improve the quality of life in our communities by working together to target those issues identified by local people.

http://www.dorset.police.uk/Default.aspx?page=303

Good Luck!

I've done a far bit of research before applying, and during my application. We've had a few booklets though the post lately, explaining different things that the Police are trying to do in the area...as well as downloading (and reading) their targets that I've found online.

Think I'll be OK with questions about diversity, brother is disabled, and over the summer I did some work at a local restpite home, helping out...also got a interview tomorrow to be on their bank staff...so hopefully that looks good.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

When I joined the police there was (ans still is) big emphasis on race and diversity. Make sure you get in some stuff about treating everyone fairly regardless of race, gender or background. On my interviews if you scored less then 50% on race and diversity, you failed the whole thing.

Apart from that get in plenty of stuff that demonstrates you can work as a team and also that you can keep your cool and not bite when you get goaded. All pretty obvious stuff really. Just remember the person interviewing has a list with checkboxes that he has to tick to score you points (Thats what mine was like anyway...) so do some internet research into the criteria they are looking for.

Last edited:
When I joined the police there was (ans still is) big emphasis on race and diversity. Make sure you get in some stuff about treating everyone fairly regardless of race, gender or background. On my interviews if you scored less then 50% on race and diversity, you failed the whole thing.

Apart from that get in plenty of stuff that demonstrates you can work as a team and also that you can keep your cool and not bite when you get goaded. All pretty obvious stuff really. Just remember the person interviewing has a list with checkboxes that he has to tick to score you points (Thats what mine was like anyway...) so do some internet research into the criteria they are looking for.

Not sure what the pass mark is for the interview, but from what I understand, they ask questions based on my answers from the forms I sent back today.

Little bit worried about the race part of it, I come from a predominately white British area, so dont have very much experience with any race issues at all. But I've pointed this out, so hopefully they'll be able to help me with that part.

As I've said about diversity, my brother is disabled, over the summer I helped on a project taking children with disabilities out on trips that they wouldn't normally get to do (speed boats, ringos etc), which is also really helpful for the teamworking part of the form I had.

Not sure what the pass mark is for the interview, but from what I understand, they ask questions based on my answers from the forms I sent back today.

Little bit worried about the race part of it, I come from a predominately white British area, so dont have very much experience with any race issues at all. But I've pointed this out, so hopefully they'll be able to help me with that part.

As I've said about diversity, my brother is disabled, over the summer I helped on a project taking children with disabilities out on trips that they wouldn't normally get to do (speed boats, ringos etc), which is also really helpful for the teamworking part of the form I had.

Memorise the answers you gave to the scenarios on the form. As they might ask you the same scenarios in the interview! Then you can use some prelearned answers to get you through.

Don't worry about the diversity part, as long as you demonstrate you treat everyone equally and without prejudice theres no reason for it to be an issue.

Just cover all the bases like I said earlier. Don't worry about going over ground you've already covered. The way the scoring system works they can only give you points for things criteria you cover, which means they can't deduct anything (y)

Back