Help with dreamweaver?!

Currently reading:
Help with dreamweaver?!

black seicento

Tinkerbell
Hey

Im using dreamweaver for an assingment at uni to build a website and just need a spot of help.... How does a page have different sections with different backgrounds?! Ive tried using frames but they seem really complicated when it comes to saving them.

Cheers! (y)

Well if you use frames and let say have a top frame (header) and side frame (menu) and a main frame (the content), that will be three seperate files.

eg. header.htm, menu.htm and content.htm

You then save this page configuration as the main page e.g. calling this index.htm

When you come to save the site your see in the background the highlighted section your saving, so you know which is which.

To change the backgrounds in each frame right click in the frame you want to change and then click > Page Properties > Appearence.

Example of a framed page: http://www.wyreforestcanoeclub.co.uk (they have a menu frame and a main content frame)

You thought of using tables?

Matt

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
sarah, create a table with each <td> being a different background..

i.e. <table><tr><td>first cell in the table</td><td>second cell i the table</td></tr></table> that's teh code anyway.. but dreamweaver has a thing for draggin and droppin tables

Ive been messing around with tables but how do i get the table to cover the whole page? because when i view it as a website its not covering the whole page!

to get tables the full size of the page, you can do width="100%" but they only go as far down the page as there is content to fill them..

framesets are ok to use... but can be a bit of a nuisance, and browsers tend to vary how they display them.

bulldog5046 said:
i personally dont like using programs like dreamweaver, i use notepad, but the simpalist way, and probably at the moment the way it should be done is using tables/cells and then adding a background to them (y)

i second that motion... out with WYIWYG, in with EditPlus (colour coded... mmm nice)

right think ive cracked my first problem BUT my second problem is if you do a link to another page and click on it is there any way of making the font not go blue and underlined!?

bulldog5046 said:

not the who.... What You See Is What You Get editors... like for example frontpage or dreamweaver

thats a style sheet thing..

in the head of the document you ned to put

<style>
a { font-family: sans-serif }
a.hover { color: #000000; }
a.active { color: #000000; }
a.visited {color: #000000; }
</style>

in the one that say a {} you can put whatever formatting you want... but the others will inherit those characters... so you just make them respond in a way you like

Last edited:
black seicento said:
right think ive cracked my first problem BUT my second problem is if you do a link to another page and click on it is there any way of making the font not go blue and underlined!?

are you using stylesheets? if not... then its a case of using font properties on each link, if you are you need yo edit the properties of the "A" stuff in it

i give up, i'll leave it to seraph

black seicento said:
Ive got them to stay the font i want but cant it to stay the colour i want (white)!

well, white is #FFFFFF, so make it that

if you want help a little quicker and that, whack me onto your msn list, and i can run through it with you.

personally, i would use CSS style sheets.

Assign a style, and put your background in there

Then use a table, split however you want it to be (with more tables nestled if needed) then simply apply the CSS style and voila

discharged_mindriot said:

Then use a table, split however you want it to be (with more tables nestled if needed) then simply apply the CSS style and voila

Ive been advised on style sheets today by someone else too, so think ill put them in later! (y)

discharged_mindriot said:

Ive been advised on style sheets today by someone else too, so think ill put them in later! (y)

Back