Technical HELP to purge fuel system please!

Currently reading:
Technical HELP to purge fuel system please!

BlueFiat

I'm in a pickle and hoping someone cane help please.

I have a 1996 Coupe 16v 4cyl Turbo. I tipped into the fuel tank around 2L of water (don't ask...)

I'm looking at options as to how I can remove the water from the system.

* I tried to get a narrow hose down the filler and it was no help, it went down around 18 inches and I either hit a sharp bend or there is some sort of anti siphoning device installed.

* I tried to locate a tank drain plug but it seems there is none installed.

* I tried to detach the fuel filter inlet in the hope I can drain it that way but everything is totally seized and I'm working on the car at home so don't have easy access to attack it from a better angle.

* I tried to access the fuel tank from the port in the boot. I can't seem to detach the fuel hoses and the large round tank covering is totally stuck anyway - no amount of force was able to turn it.

* I'm trying to locate the fuel inlet to the engine.. it may be my only hope to try and run the pump in the hope I can get rid of the water that way. I have attached an engine bay image if someone wants to edit it with what to remove or what hoses (if visible) are the fuel feed into the engine.

If anyone has other ideas that would be great. Bear in mind I will be working on the car myself from home and getting it towed to mechanic or getting a mechanic out to the car isn't an option. It's a car that isn't relied every day so if I can try a DIY solution to solve this in my own time I will.

I'm even temped to leave the tank filler open in the hope it all evaporates out 'eventually' but that won't help with the stuff in the lines.

The car has around 3/4 of a tank showing and other than this issue ran fine before...

Thanks HEAPS!
FIAT-Coupe-836_10 engine bay.jpg

Reading again I take it you have tried to release the large plastic bung to access the fuel pump and tank sender unit ?
Unless you can undo that or drop the fuel tank you will never get all the water out.
If you have a plastic fuel tank with the large pump and sender in the top I would carefully remove the hoses and wiring plug which should leave you with a large ridged plastic nut/ring which holds the sender unit tight in the tank, I think you can buy the ring if damaged but check first , also there is a large O ring seal.
Other people have had to replace the ring due to damaging it on removal on other Fiats. I did remove and refit the same one on a Grande Punto, but I had a tool that gripped it evenly, though even with that it was not easy.
If you take a photo of the sender unit and pipe work I am sure someone will be able to advise the easiest way to do it.

Thanks for that. Yes, I have tried to access the top of the tank via the boot floor. There is a large plastic screw on cap of around 6 inches diameter however I can easily remove the 2 wired plugs but not the fuel lines.

I did try to loosen the cap but it wouldn't budge. Gripping it is not easy as it's located slightly below the boot floor and a tool as you displayed will be great.

It's off to the Mechanic to try and get it sorted.

Not even a tank drain... they really like to make things hard...

Undo the fuel line in the engine bay, hot wire the pump at the fuse to make it run until the tank is empty.

You can only totally drain tank and get all the water out if you access that tank unit as I said as using the cars pump will not get to the bottom of the tank as it sits off the bottom.
I believe the pipe fittings on the tank unit have a quick release arrangement.
People do tap the big plastic nut undone using a large blunt screwdriver and a hammer , but the tool I suggested will cause less damage .

Back