Technical Help !! This one has me beaten

Currently reading:
Technical Help !! This one has me beaten

I have just completed a cylinder head swap (head gasket blew so I took the opportunity to get a skimmed and ported head - crazy I know but I dont have the time to do an engine swap) . I also replaced the coil packs and the plugs and leads. Also fitted a stainless steel manifold (it has 2 holes for the lamda sensor - I have not yet tried the second one)

I put it all together and hit the start button and it revved straight to 6000rpm and sat there.

I checked this forum and found some ideas - here is what I have done so far

1. Swapped the Idler control unit for a spare (slightly different end on the spare - round plastic instead of a metal point)
2. Check throttle cable is loose
3. tested sealing around manifold using wd40 (engine should slow down if wd40 is drawing into it)
4. resealed throttle body.
5. Disconnected the battery for 24 hours

After all the extra work I still have the revving problem

Buggy was running lumpy just prior to the repair and I did see damage to the old head gasket.

It runs on a GSR induction kit and a sparky5 throttle body and both were prefect BEFORE the work.

Last edited:
One more problem folks:-

I have bought an ICV from ebay and it is listed as:-

Part number A95273 - The Manufactureres part number this item replaces is
FIAT 9944470 or FIAT 9949159.

The one I think is possibly faulty is marked :-
B01/00 S2434

And the other one I have is marked:-
B12/00 S2518

What the hell is the difference ?? Have I bought the correct one ??

Had the same thing a long time ago.... have you checked the throttle position sensor? Carefully tease out the green bungs where the wires go into the sensor (check for breaks/corrosion on the wires) & use a multimeter to check the voltages.
From memory there are three wires: one reads 0volts (earth), one is +5v (reference voltage) & one wire that reads around +3.4v with the throttle closed rising to +5v fully open.

Is she dumping fuel in? Just wondering if it is an O2 sensor fault. If it was fine before, but now revs like a good one. And you have put the 4 branch mani on. Just wandering if an already dodgy lead had now come unstuck.

Getting there - yes 4 branch mani is on and good

Now just the up down revving problem - it seesm to have been thr throttle pos sensor

Now waiting for new ICU valve to arrive

I can drive but I get the boy racer impersonation

Can someone remind me how to reset the SPI ECU

As far as I am aware you just disconnect the battery. Maybe worth leaving it for a few hours, or touch terminals together. Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Back