Technical Help On My Fiat punto 1.2 Active Sport

Currently reading:
Technical Help On My Fiat punto 1.2 Active Sport

ThePuntoMan

Hey guys just bought an 05 plate fiat punto 1.2 active sport, 55k miles and been advised to get a new timing belt/ water pump change..i get there are tutorials on doing it myself but i have a bit of money left over from my purchase so anybody new how much a garage would charge?

i know how much the parts are worth but how much would the garage charge to fit encluding VAT.

quick reply would be handy guys cheers.:slayer:

the garages charge for labour about £50 an hour or so (thats how much was stated on my invoice after mine had some work done anyway).
I wouldn't know how long it takes to do the work on yours though.
Let me know how much it goes since I am planning on doing mine too since i have no history information of my timing belt :confused:

8v's is pips!

Basically -
Drain water
Wheel off - and wheel arch liner
Engine Supported
Engine Mounts off
Battery out
Belt Covers off
Release tensioner
Take off the Pholonic Wheel
Belt off
(good idea to remove water pump as well - so it can be replaced)
Re-seal the Water pump on
New Belt on
Correct Timing if need be
Phlonic wheel and Alternator belt on (slacken alternator now)
And Basically - rebuild

As long as its the 8v, you cant damage the engine as its a safe engine

If you replacing belt and water pump, make sure you put a new Tensioner Bearing onn too

Haynes Manual is handy for it! :)
If you want to learn - this is the engine for it :)

Ziggy

I think you should do it yourself too, doesn't matter if you got a bit of money left over from buying it. Cars are always going wrong when you least expect it so hang on to that extra money, you may need it.

How would you correct the timing by the way, Ziggy?

Had it done a few weeks ago, it was £186 in total. £65 parts, £90 Labour and VAT.

I think you should do it yourself too, doesn't matter if you got a bit of money left over from buying it. Cars are always going wrong when you least expect it so hang on to that extra money, you may need it.

How would you correct the timing by the way, Ziggy?
The Timing is setup on the 8v via Timing Marks
IF you have moved either the head or the Crank then you will need to correct the timing

I checked over all my Cam and Tappet Gapping - as mine were noisey, but it was cause water was mixed in the oil

Check here for Dave's guide to the Timing Markings
And Tightening order

And when timing up - make sure the belt has about 90' tuning ability
Any less probably means too tight, too much angle and its too loose

And that you turn the engine over 2 FULL COMPLETE revolutions
Crank Turns Twice to Cams Once

Had it done a few weeks ago, it was £186 in total. £65 parts, £90 Labour and VAT.

I paid £120 in parts
That was New oil, Flushing oil - Oil Flush, Coolant, HG Set inc HG bolts, Oil Filter, Cooling system cleaner, Sparkies and HT's etc

No labour as i did it all :) Would do it again happily :)

ziggy

Last edited:
hey guys thanks for the advice, a mate of mines a mechanic so is going to do the work for £100 thats for the cambelt + water pump which sounds a fair deal, he works in a garage and is going to get back to me on how much it would cost but he mentioned a crazy price like £220 the garage would charge me so thinks £100 is a fair price. :):worship:

For a crazy amount like that i'd rather give it a go myself to be honest haha
I'm probably going to get a friend of mine to get me the parts on trade and get another friend of mine to help me do it as he is good with cars (he is doing up an old little mini at the moment too(y)). That way i've got his knowledge to help me and I can see how it's done so in the future I can do it myself :)

Hey guys, I was just wondering, where exactly can I buy a new belt? Mines waaaay over due and luckily I know someone who can get it done for me, no charge, just need to buy it but I've been looking and can only find for a Grande, which I'm guessing won't do as different engines? Or a for a punto van... which I hadn't even heard of.

Hey guys, I was just wondering, where exactly can I buy a new belt? Mines waaaay over due and luckily I know someone who can get it done for me, no charge, just need to buy it but I've been looking and can only find for a Grande, which I'm guessing won't do as different engines? Or a for a punto van... which I hadn't even heard of.

Grande is the 192 Chassis i believe
The Punto is a 176 (iirc) mk1
188 for the mk2

Punto van is just a 3dr punto - without rear windows :)

As for belts
Wack you Reg Number into Euro-car-parts and they'll give you timing kits (tensioner and belt)
Dont forget the water pump too!

Ziggy

Back