Technical HELP....Fuel Flap NR Spring Cylinder....I Think!!

Currently reading:
Technical HELP....Fuel Flap NR Spring Cylinder....I Think!!

FiatFleetFamily

Established member
Just been to fill up car. Once cap on closed fuel flap, would not close..Hmmm.:confused:

The spring cylinder was not recoiling, not sure if this is the correct name for this.

Once home, I held the flap closed and locked car to ensure the shoot bolt locked flap.

Then returned to unlock car, did so and the flap opened. I took out this rubber ended cylinder held in place with 2 tabs and dismantled, there is a little spring inside and a spring lever, which was corroded and broken. :cry:

I have now removed all this to examine, locked car as holding fuel flap to ensure shoot bolt locked flap.

I have searched the Eper system for this part and cannot find it, it shows a hinge and flap and a fuel cap, but not this cylinder, unless I am on a old Eper system.:rolleyes:

I will try an take photo and post up, so that you all can see what I am on about.

Just been to fill up car. Once cap on closed fuel flap, would not close..Hmmm.:confused:

The spring cylinder was not recoiling, not sure if this is the correct name for this.

Once home, I held the flap closed and locked car to ensure the shoot bolt locked flap.

Then returned to unlock car, did so and the flap opened. I took out this rubber ended cylinder held in place with 2 tabs and dismantled, there is a little spring inside and a spring lever, which was corroded and broken. :cry:

I have now removed all this to examine, locked car as holding fuel flap to ensure shoot bolt locked flap.

I have searched the Eper system for this part and cannot find it, it shows a hinge and flap and a fuel cap, but not this cylinder, unless I am on a old Eper system.:rolleyes:

I will try an take photo and post up, so that you all can see what I am on about.

First pic is what it looks like once removed, so that you can relate from your Croma

Second pic is close up of the broken spring lever that has corroded.

So does anybody know the part number for this???

90 032.JPG

90 033.JPG

We had this part fail on our Croma last year- really annoying but our local dealer could get the unit from Fiat the next day and not too expensive. When I get home I'll try and find the paper work with the part number.

It's on an obscure part of ePer and looks nothing like what it actually is. I replaced mine last year and it cost less than £15, and takes minutes to change. If nobody else puts the part number on before I do I'll post it later tonight. HTH.

naread.exe

The bit you need is at the bottom right, the section is 70717/00 in ePer.
Further investigation in section 55503/00 reveals:
naread.exe

You need item 3, which is down as a 'Lock', part number 51734821. I paid 13.29 + VAT for mine and it arrived the next day after ordering. HTH.

just beaten to posting, but it is a more informative one!

I'm sorry to say our receipt doesn't give the part number but it is indeed about £15- a relatively small expense compared to all the other costs of our Croma!

naread.exe

The bit you need is at the bottom right, the section is 70717/00 in ePer.
Further investigation in section 55503/00 reveals:
naread.exe

You need item 3, which is down as a 'Lock', part number 51734821. I paid 13.29 + VAT for mine and it arrived the next day after ordering. HTH.

Thanks. Funny picture of it. Thanks again to all owners with advice Will order today.:D

Nice Part. Fitted in 5 mins. Thats got to be the easiest part to fit without getting your fingers dirty!!

Did you take the opportunity to pump it full of silicon grease?

Could save you further grief in the future.

Used Lithium Grease, in barrel and filled spring internally before compressing.

Its the first one I have changed, the old one being the original, still had its QA sticker on the locking mechanism dated 08/2005. So it lasted 3.5 Years, I doubt that I will still have Croma in 3.5 Years time. Wonder what it will be next.........See a 159 Sportwagon calling or.....:idea:

Many thanks for the post guys. Our Fuel flap has failed last night. So it is off to the dealers.

Mine failed again just before going on holiday!

For now I have a "sucker pad on a cord". Works a treat and confused the hell out of the Italian garage attendants in Italy where I have just come back from.

Now deciding what to do.

1) stick with sucker OR magnetic attraction opening of flap
2) repair old assembly with my own "hair spring"
3) shell out and replace whole assembly

Back