Styling Help! Fiat 500 daytime running lights. (Drl's)

Currently reading:
Styling Help! Fiat 500 daytime running lights. (Drl's)

Well I totally disagree for what it's worth, it's the DRLs themselves that are the daft idea and sidelights are perfectly acceptable when correctly managed and judged. Taking control away from the driver just encourages "dim" behaviour.

And why would you seriously object to the standard colour of your lights when you are sat in the car and can't see them? :confused: Want to pretend you're an Audi?

I've never agreed with DRLs as a concept, the same thing could have been achieved old Volvo style if necessary, which would have illuminated the rear of the car as well. But they are here now and seem to mainly be a means of demarcation of trim in VAGs...

However colour wise I personally believe white looks tidier especially on white/black/grey cars.

...... the same thing could have been achieved old Volvo style if necessary ..........
I remember reading somewhere some time ago about the excess fuel that was used to keep all those lights on all the time in all those Volvos.

Millions of them, with all those lights on! :eek:

I wonder is the MPG suffers in a Fiat500 with DRLs on?
No doubt it's minuscule, but it must add up I suppose.

Regards,
Mick.

I remember reading somewhere some time ago about the excess fuel that was used to keep all those lights on all the time in all those Volvos.

Regards,
Mick.

It'll have an impact, but how compare to say, carrying things in boot, a passenger e.t.c. is hard to say. Seem to remember Volvo was asked about it when l.e.d. running lights came about and their response was it's so small we've never bothered measuring it.

DRLs are the lights in the "cheek" of the front of the 500 they are on if the engine is on and the light stalk is off, they do not illuminate the rear lights. Side lights are the little 5w bulbs in the headlamp unit itself, only intended as parking lights in the case of the 500 they are activated by having the stalk in headlights on position but ignition off, they'll do what the the 1st click on your panda light stalk does. If you see a 500 running on sides only both headlamps have blown. Headlamps are no different to any other headlamp ever.

Nope!

The headlight fitting (ie the big one at the top) only has the dipped beam bulbs and the indicators. The lower units house the high beams bulb and a dual filament bulb that fulfils both drl and parking light duty.

If the drl option isn't turned off on the dash, when the headlights are turned off you will get the DRL's lighting up, if you have the dipped beams on then it switches onthe lower wattage bulb and turns off the higher wattage bulb and you get the sidelight.

Not sure what you mean... I could argue that ALL 500 drivers are "idiots" because the (5W) front sidelights are on when the headlamps are on. Pretty daft in a "smart", modern system.

Traditional front 5w sidelights are fine for picking out the car (whether parked or not), it's just that they don't have the lens design that some DRL assemblies do.

This is how it is on all cars and is a legal requirement. If one or more headlamp bulbs are out then at least the from will be somewhat lit up.

Suffered a somewhat catastrophic failure of a bulbs on my Subaru the other day.

Attachments

• WP_20151003_20_00_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151003_20_00_14_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Nope!

The headlight fitting (ie the big one at the top) only has the dipped beam bulbs and the indicators. The lower units house the high beams bulb and a dual filament bulb that fulfils both drl and parking light duty.

If the drl option isn't turned off on the dash, when the headlights are turned off you will get the DRL's lighting up, if you have the dipped beams on then it switches onthe lower wattage bulb and turns off the higher wattage bulb and you get the sidelight.

This is what I get for using fiat's own video as a point of reference...
[ame]https://youtu.be/1H80sSblkqs[/ame]

I figured it was s facelift but it may be s US spec car.

Regards,
Mick.

The impact on MPG will be less than that of a someone hitting you because the sun was in the wrong location and they didn't see you (y)

Yes, I know, of course! :)

The point that I read some time back (twenty years?) was that Volvos - at the time - were the only cars with lights on automatically during daylight. Many non-Volvo folk thought that the idea was daft. Many people even these days think DLR's are daft!

The point was, that millions of Volvos with their lights on permanently were consuming much more fuel than they needed to. Not meaning each individual car, but all the Volvos added together worldwide.

I can't remember the figures involved, but the figure was HUGE.

Regards,
Mick.

Yes, I know, of course! :)

The point that I read some time back (twenty years?) was that Volvos - at the time - were the only cars with lights on automatically during daylight. Many non-Volvo folk thought that the idea was daft. Many people even these days think DLR's are daft!

The point was, that millions of Volvos with their lights on permanently were consuming much more fuel than they needed to. Not meaning each individual car, but all the Volvos added together worldwide.

I can't remember the figures involved, but the figure was HUGE.

Regards,
Mick.

Yet how fewer were involved in fatal accidents.

If we're looking at costs and environmental issues why not remove all airbags from cars also while we're at it..... See where this is going.

At the end of the day DRL pro's outweigh their con's, just like a lot of other safety equipment fitted to cars.

It has been said ............ and not just by me ........... that we'd all be better off with spikes that shoot out instead of airbags cushioning us. It would make drivers take a great deal of care! :D

Or maybe force drivers to have a bowl filled to the brim with boiling water on their laps.

Good ideas eh?
Mick.

How on earth do you get the DRL bulb holder out? I cannot get my hand far enough through the hole to turn the holder let alone pull it out. Do you need very small hands or is there a knack to it!

How on earth do you get the DRL bulb holder out? I cannot get my hand far enough through the hole to turn the holder let alone pull it out. Do you need very small hands or is there a knack to it!
Yes, there's a knack, and you may need tweezers or snipe-nosed pliers as well.

First thing you need to do is jack up the car and remove the wheel. It's only then that the dog can see the rabbit.

Good luck,
Mick.

Sorry Maxi.
Cannot be done with our 500TA unless you have very long fingers and double-jonted wrists!

It may have something to do with the fitted tyres?
Narrower ones may be easier?

I tried and tried, and had to jack up the car to give me room, but it was still necessary to remove the wheel.

Regards,
Mick.

I've done mine on 16's, not a wheel off job but not a lot of space either.

I can do the ones on my Abarth 500 which has 16 inch wheels with 195/45 tyres on it fine, and I've got plates for hands with short stubby fingers!

My car has the standard 15" wheels but I can only just about touch the holder with the wheels at full lock. Think my hands are about average size. Will try it with some long nosed pliers.

Back