General help batry light still dim

Currently reading:
General help batry light still dim

ivor

ive put mew brushes in alternator,after 200 miles the light has come on v dim ive been told it could be an earth problem, bot found one thin wire from back of alternator when i pull it off the light goes out ,but dont think its the one is there an other earth on alternator and weres the gearbox or engine earth strap please help as this is peeeeeing me off

Do the following:

1) Check the battery voltage, it should be between 12.5 to 12.7 volts.

2) Turn on engine and check the voltage on the battery terminals again. It should now be around 14 volts.

3) Now turn on your lights, rear heated screen and blower to full. The voltage may drop to just below 13 volts but it should go back to 14 if you rev the engine. If the voltage is low then it's probably a diode.

That little black plug on the back of the alternator goes to the warning lamp to tell you something is wrong, thats why the light goes out when you pull the plug off.

Isn't there an earth on the bodywork next to the battery?

Last edited:
m:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

many thanks will try this in morning ,had enough time under the car today
my heads wreked

Last edited:
Back