Grande Punto Hello everyone

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Hello everyone

Toisich

Hi, I'm Chris and hail from the Kingdom of Fife. I'm 51, married for 26 years, 4 grown kids and the eldest three have given us 9 grandkids.

I currently own a red 56 plate 1.4 Grande Punto active sport that has sat in my garden since I bought it for £350 last September. After a successful test drive and buying her. I had to make a few stops on the way home. This was achieved with no issues, until i had to stop to make a phone call. She wouldn't start again until I managed to get a push start. The battery has pancaked over the past year, there's mould on the headliner, rear seats and boot despite looking waterproof, and still won't start. Had noticed it quite often seemed to have a bit of condensation on the inside of the windows.

Any advice/thoughts on these issues would be much appreciated. Could they be linked?

Chris

Recharge the battery first before making any more conclusions. Give battery terminals good clean up and add some battery grease on them.

Then keep in mind that letting the battery run flat kills it. Check battery voltage after a day and then while idle and then add load headlights , radio check voltage. And report back. Probably the battery is weak.

Check all the main battery and earth cables, they have a habit on our GPs of rotting just inside the insulation

Also check your fusebox is dry - inside

Hi :)

Mould can build in anything closed for months.. doesnt have to be wringing wet

Your starting issue..

Fundamentals 1st..

Does the keycode symbol light and go out after a few seconds...?
does the fuel pump run for @10 seconds?

Does the starter spin the motor.. or just produce a click?

Charlie

Hi guys. Thanks for the replies.

eeeno - she's been a non-starter for a year now the way things have went. Just recently got another battery and a new charger, so will try it when i get a dry day.

DGPunto - have a couple of decent earth leads to swap over. Engine bay fuse box is good. At least from the top. I want to remove it and the battery tray to check underneath. Not actually looked at the internal one yet.

Charlie - wasn't quite soaking though boot area was still damp feeling. When i've connected up the battery from my other car, goes like this -

turn key to acc - everything lights up and disappears as it should. Except that lcd display between speedo and rev counter is blank - think it died with the previous battery.

turn key to start - all lights on dash go out, and nothing. No clicks or spin from starter. That was with jump leads attached to my other car. Haven't tried bump starting again it's sitting on flat tyres at the moment.

Chris

Back