Technical Heavy clonk from o/s front over bumps

Currently reading:
Technical Heavy clonk from o/s front over bumps

Enoch

I've checked on other threads for:-

Drop links
Driveshafts and
Ball joints

I've given everything a good wiggle and shake and the only thing that's got any play in it is the inner cv joint. However, my mechanic mate reckons it definitely won't be that making the noise (it never clackclackclackclacks like a cv joint outer does and only does it over sort of cobbled road type imperfections).

Any ideas?

You will need to take the weight off the wheel to check the lower ball joint . Even then you might need a mate to watch while you lift the wheel, because a small amount of wear is not easy to see. My money would be on the drop links, but I had to have mine checked by an expert because I couldnt see the movement myself. Make sure you are not missing a bit of spring while youre looking.

good advice, get your car i the air and use a large screwdriver ect to see if you can lift the lower ball joint, my stilo has had both sides replaced now but still on original droplinks ??!?!?! which seem to be the most popular to fail.
a heavy clonk though would point me to the ball joint over the droplinks.
roy

Enoch if your taking the wheel off to get a look at the lower ball joints you may as well change the drop links whilst you are in there it;s a simple job and they cost £30 for the pair thats what I did when I changed my springs

Thanks chaps, will give evrything a good jacked-up-and-axlestanded wiggle whilst I'm changing the olio this weekend. (y)

I had similar problem. Turned out to be the anti-roll bar linkage. Cost £35 supplied and fitted. No noise at all now.:)

Back