Technical heaters not working

Currently reading:
Technical heaters not working

And this might sound daft as I ain't a mechanic but where are the coil packs?? Lol I'm not thick honest just learning :)

the radiator fan doesn't run continuously, are you sure it doesn't cut in if you leave it?? (again i can't remember what temp it should cut in but sure someone here does off the top of their head)

If it doesn't TURN THE CAR OFF!!

edit: the interior fan and radiator fan are not connected together in anyway, they are separate issue entirely ;) cooling the engine is far more important!!!

Last edited:
The temperature just keeps going up but I turn it off when it reaches 90

It doesn't seem like the radiator fan will kick in I having running for about 10 mins on idle then have to turn it off due to the temperature

Yeah but the engine and all the pipes are proper mad hot

So, are you saying that the cooling fan doesn't come on?

I don't know where to start. You need a manual to explain where stuff is -- if nothing else.

Although the car is different, the 899 engines in Sei and Cinq are identical to all intents and purposes, so you could download the Seixento Technical Manual friom the downloads section here fer nowt.

Cooling fan doesn't come on no fingers and Blu I mean that the engine is overheating and all the pipes to the radiator and when I've touched the coolant I put in that's hot will this be the thermostat or head gasket???

But as we have said, 90degC IS NOT OVERHEATING.

It isn't hot enough for the rad fan to come on.

So, the only issue we are sure you have right now is that the heater fan doesn't work.
That may simply be the fuse, or could be the fan motor seized.

I know it's not over heating at 90 but try telling the engine that and the pipes and coolant that is red hot where as you could touch the engine normally after a couple of minutes this you can't and it seems like there air trying to get out of the engine you can see it

I'll find Out anyways I'll get a new head gasket and thermostat just incase anyways

Before you start rushing out spending money, do you have a friend that knows what they are looking at when they open a bonnet?

And whereabouts are you based? Might be a local member that can pop down and have a quick look..?

But i must say engines are hot! you can't really touch an engine when they are at operating temperature.. Do the pipes going to and from the radiator get hot? If the thermostat is stuck shut then no water will be circulating around the rad or them pipes - so they won't get hot. As said already 90degrees IS NOT too hot. A cinq in tip top condition should get hotter than that when idling and when it does the fan will kick in.. I get the feeling your getting scared way too soon and turning it off - but if it really doesn't come on then first check the fuse (which i think you have done already) then check fan and then fan switch..

To check the fan:
1.disconnect -ve battery lead
2.disconnect fan wiring
3.put 12volts directly across fan terminals - fan should turn on, start smoothly and not make any grinding noises etc.

If that works, check the fan switch:
1.get car upto to operating temp (let it go over 90 if it will, get it upto 100 - if it will not get that hot i'd say the thermostat is stuck open, so take that off and check its operating properly as described earlier in thread)
2.assuming its got to 100 degrees and fan hasn't come on, switch off ignition and disconnect wiring for cooling fan switch (located on the radiator) and join the pins in the plug together with a piece of wire and turn ignition back on - the fan should start, if not the switch is probably faulty.

That should keep you busy for a little while, report back

Last edited:
I wonder if the thermostat is jammed shut? I had a Punto bought in a few years aho and it'd brew up very quickly -- obviously overheating -- but the fan wouldn't come on. (I can't remember if it had a temp guage and/or what it was showing).

Of course, the 899 overheating saga wouldn't be complete without the snapped alternator (and water pump!) belt.........

Blue's suggestions make sense.

But really, unless you know what a part looks like/where it is, how are you going to find it?

I thought stuck shut thermostat at first fingers but surely the car would get hotter than 90 pretty quickly.. whereas if it was stuck open it takes an absolute age for the car to warm up. Brin had that on his punto and when he took thermostat off someone had just pulled all the inside out so water was flowing through the rad from startup - he really struggled getting the car warm as you can imagine which kinda matches this not getting over 90 ever when idling.

However, you are right the OP should go buy a haynes manual or get someone else to look at it. No offence intended, you clearly not an experienced tinkerer.

Back