Technical Head gasket failure update

Currently reading:
Technical Head gasket failure update

Neil Barker

Paparrazi
Regulars may recall that when I took my Stilo Abarth in for its 12,000 mile service 4 weeks ago, it was diagnosed as having head gasket failure - something I'd suspected,

Anyway, 4 weeks later I collected my car last night - it having had a complete new engine and cooling system. Oh and new brake disks and pads due to a vibration on braking from speed.

I'm pleased to say it's all back to normal now - well, just got to get a thousand or so miles on the engine to run it in gently....

--
Neil Barker

Here's hoping all is well and remains so. :)

Originally posted by munchy
Hi Neil

Did they do this for you under warranty? Was there any speak from the dealer of not doing it under warranty?

Yes, all under warranty, Mark.

What basically happened was this:-

Back in April this year, I became aware of 'sludge' in the radiator expansion tank. Looking at the filler cap, it also had 'mayonnaise' on it - classic signs of oil/anti-freeze contamination. I reported this to the dealer (Fiat Derby - incompetent....) and they cleaned it out and refilled with fresh anti-freeze.

In the ensuing months, I did several thousand miles including a blast down to Le Mans and back, plus several 100MPH dashes. Whilst at Le Mans, I noticed that the engine seemed to have a low-speed misfire in the first few minutes until the engine was warm.

When I returned home, the car was due for its 12,000 mile service and within 1/2 hour the service manager came out to me and told me that yes, my suspicions had indeed been right all along and the head gasket had gone. The low-speed misfire was being caused by water in one of the cylinders....

I left it with them, almost in shock, to see what the diagnosis was. They took the head off, stripped it all out and sent it off to be pressure/crack tested. Came back all fine - no fault found. Therefore, the next suspicion was the block - they wanted to do the same with the block - strip it and pressure test.

No way, said I - the engine had only done 11.5K for God's sake and I wasn't having that. I told them in no uncertain terms that I would not accept a repaired engine - I wanted it totally replacing under warranty. God knows that long-term damage had been caused to that engine. After he'd spoken to his area Fiat rep, this was agreed to.

It then took about 2 weeks to get an engine from Italy, fit it and get the car back to me. In the meantime I was driving an Astra hire car that they'd got me when I told them that I WAS NOT going to continue driving bloody Puntos without air-con in the height of summer !

From the service visit to getting the car back took 1 day short of a calendar month - pathetic.

All is OK now so far, with 19,000 miles on - 7 on the new engine.

Moral is - don't stand for second best. State exactly what you want (assuming you're legally entitled to it) and do not back down.

--
Neil Barker

Yes, all under warranty, Mark.

What basically happened was this:-

And what happens if you know about car engines as much as about astrophysics :)[?] Then you hear what the car engineers say and you agree. Personally I don't even know what a head gasket is :(

Grigoris

3-Door Black Stilo 1.8 Dynamic, 17" Alloys, Dual Zone Climate Control, Spoiler

Everybody knows someone who knows at least a little bit about engines and car mechanics. For possibly the cost a drink, take them with you to the dealership or ask their advice before you let the dealer do anything. Basically, if you think they are taking the mick (even slightly) get a 2nd opinion from a friend, relative or even better another dealer.

PS - The head gasket is a bit of rubber in the engine that keeps oil in and other stuff out. When it is faulty or damaged, your oil gets the other stuff in and/or your oil gets out and pretty quickly your engine gets buggered.

Roja

2003 Silver 3-Door Abarth with graphite wheels and all the toys
NOW FOR SALE - £9995ono

Back