General Head gasket blown?

Currently reading:
General Head gasket blown?

im going to take the rocker cover off tonight and have a look to see if i can see anything in there to surgest that the head gasket has gone *poof* ill take pics tonight and post them *WATCH THIS SPACE*

The only thing you might see is mayonaise, but you'll see this equally well on the filler cap or -- much more decisive -- on the dipstick. Save yourself the effort.

Get the car up on ramps or axle stands and do as I say!

Hi, I had a simular problem, with mine. Only bought her a week ago, checked at the garage where she was being sold, no water in the oil, no leaks etc, and everything was fine. Used it to pick my misses up on saturday evening and she started to overheat in traffic. Managed to pull over and look under the bonnet, she had no water in her, and when i looked again at the dipstick i could see mayo....... bummer. I thought that it must be the head gasket, but to cut a long story short, it only turned out to be the water pump, had it done at my local garage, and she's running fine again now, so as others have said, its not always the head gasket, and the water pump was only £20 quid, so i had the belts done whilst it was there to. Best of luck with yours m8.

could be something as simple as the coolant expansion cap, onyl a few ££.

I agree with fingers99, that the solution you are suggesting is not worth trying really.

Do a proper job, as it could be so simple and easy like the above suggestion.

Kristian

right guys ive had the rocker cover off and checked the dipstick guess what NO MAYO!!! im right confused!!!! could it be the pump????? my car was working fine on the way home strange!!!!!!!

I dont have any axel stands and how will i know if it is the pump???

Last edited:
OK, find a high kerb and place the drivers wheel on the kerb, fairly close to the edge, but not overhanging.

Run the engine up to temperature.

Make sure a dog hasn't used the gutter as a toilet then get down and look up for any water appearing where it shouldn't.

Cheers

D

Well, you have a wheel jack? Wait for the engine to cool, fill it up with water. Remove driverside wheel while on jack and remove the driverside wheelarch liner. Make sure it's in neutral(!) start the engine and wait for the fan to start.

Be very careful not to put your head under the car (this is why you should really use axle stands or ramps) and look for leaks. If it's the water pump, it'll be a fairly fast dribble from around the area (front, usually) of the cam belt guard.

While the water pump would be my first guess, do check all the bottom hoses and the water rail which runs from the back of the water pump along the front of the engine.

Back