HDMI source into Displayport monitor?

Currently reading:
HDMI source into Displayport monitor?

Hopefully someone in here will be able to answer this one for me. I am planning on buying a new monitor and would like it to have VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs. VGA/DVI for use with PC & Mac, with the HDMI port to connect to PS3 (currently plugged into main TV, but I get little time to use it as Mrs. Plug likes to use the TV for watching television). :doh:

I've found a nice HP monitor which ticks all my boxes but it comes with a DisplayPort connection as opposed to HDMI. After looking to see if it's possible to get a converter, I am a little puzzled. Most of the converters I've come across seem to take a DisplayPort source (i.e. a PC/Mac graphics card) and convert it to display on an HDMI monitor, which is the opposite of what I want to achieve. Could the conversion be bi-directional? I've read that DisplayPort runs at 3.3v signal levels, as opposed to the 5v levels used in HDMI/DVI :confused:

So, if anyone has the insider knowledge to answer my question, I'd appreciate a reply.. the monitor is not a cheap one (c. £250), I need an answer before I take the plunge..

Cheers,

Plug

Have you thought about just buying a TV and using it as a monitor? they only thing you might struggle to find is one with two PC inputs but you could get a dvi-hdmi cable as there should be multiple HDMI inputs. Iv not done this myself but i use my lcd tv as an extended desktop and its better than my monitor. I dont see why it wouldnt work?

Thanks for the replies, basically I've made a rod for my own back as I want a monitor that can rotate into portrait mode, I'm pushed for space so it really needs to be 22" or less, *and* I want full HD resolution. Not that I'm asking for much!

The only one I've found so far is the HP ZR22w - nice monitor, but as I said, DisplayPort rather than HDMI. Spec. sheet below:

HP ZR22w

E3K - I'm pretty certain that the cable you found will only work one way (DP to HDMI) which isn't going to help, but thanks for looking.

Oh well, I'll keep searching. It seems that 22" full HD panels have started appearing on the market in the last couple of months, sooner or later someone's going to make a model that matches my spec. :)

Cheers,

Plug

Last edited:
Back