Technical Hazard problem

Currently reading:
Technical Hazard problem

Droop

Jan 2004 1.9D.

My hazards only work when the engine is running. Can someone point me in the right direction as to why this would be?

Many thanks

Jan 2004 1.9D.

My hazards only work when the engine is running. Can someone point me in the right direction as to why this would be?

Many thanks
The 1.9D was not made after 2001. Please provide model number which is the first three numbers of the VIN, e.g ZFA230xxxxxxxx or ZFA244xxxxxxxx would be models x230, and x244 repectively. There are considerable wiring differences between the two models.

The 1.9D was not made after 2001. Please provide model number which is the first three numbers of the VIN, e.g ZFA230xxxxxxxx or ZFA244xxxxxxxx would be models x230, and x244 repectively. There are considerable wiring differences between the two models.
ZFA244

On the x244 the flash generator is embodied in the switch control panel, which sits behind the auxilliary push buttons. eLearn diagram E2020 for the direction indicator and hazard lights shows fuse F53 as being the unswitched supply. Fuse F53 (10A) is fourth from left on bottom row, of LH cab fuse panel.

On the x244 the flash generator is embodied in the switch control panel, which sits behind the auxilliary push buttons. eLearn diagram E2020 for the direction indicator and hazard lights shows fuse F53 as being the unswitched supply. Fuse F53 (10A) is fourth from left on bottom row, of LH cab fuse panel.
Thank you, I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Unfortunately that wasn't the problem. If I take that fuse out they don't work at all. Put it back in they work, but only when the engine is running, not even with the ignition on, let alone with it off.

I noticed an addtional problem that may shed light on the problem (to those with the right knowledge). When I have them on with the engine running, if I turn on the lights or press the footbreak, they stop.

The "Switch Control Panel". (H090 on diagrams) is an electronic "black box", in that there is no published diagam of the internal logic/functions. Role is superseded by the BCM in later models.

I have a table of connections to the Switch Control Panel, that I hve prepared for my own use. I am attaching this table, eLearn diagram E2020, and a colour code translation table. Some of eLearn for a 2.8jtd x244 may be viewed here. The engine control digrams will differ, but the remainder should be OK, if not obscured by incorrectly sized text.

The fact that the hazard flashers stop when other items are switched on, could be due to a missing earth connection.. The only earth that I can find is that connected to H090/B10. This could be a red herring. If I have any other thoughts, I will add to your (this) thread.

Attachments

• eLearn E2020 Direction Indicators.pdf
    74.6 KB · Views: 57
  • H090 Switch Control Panel.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Fiat Wiring Colour Codes.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 48
Hi Droop

The only thing I can add to Communicator's replies is that the H090 "Black Box" can be the cause of seemingly odd faults if it doesn't have ALL its connections properly in place and the fuses feeding it (F53 and F37) are intact. If F53 and F37 are OK, are any other fuses blown ? Do all the vehicle electrical functions work ?

I also suggest you take a look at the rear lights whilst an assistant turns on the sidelights and operates the indicators, brake lights etc. If you have a bad common earth in the rear lights you can get current "back feeding" from one set of lights to another, with odd results. Anyone who has owned a trailer will be familiar with this !

Hi Droop

The only thing I can add to Communicator's replies is that the H090 "Black Box" can be the cause of seemingly odd faults if it doesn't have ALL its connections properly in place and the fuses feeding it (F53 and F37) are intact. If F53 and F37 are OK, are any other fuses blown ? Do all the vehicle electrical functions work ?

I also suggest you take a look at the rear lights whilst an assistant turns on the sidelights and operates the indicators, brake lights etc. If you have a bad common earth in the rear lights you can get current "back feeding" from one set of lights to another, with odd results. Anyone who has owned a trailer will be familiar with this !
@Anthony489 ,
Please see comments on my H090 connection table. You can lose headlights due to fuses that are not shown on the appropriate diagrams.

Hi Droop

I didn't check F37. I will do so tomorrow, and the other fuses.

Back