General Hand brake warning light on 2004 Fiat Ulysse JTD

Currently reading:
General Hand brake warning light on 2004 Fiat Ulysse JTD

normanwatts

Hi I'm new to the forum but have reviewed various threads on the above subject but have still not resolved my problem. The hand brake on warning light came on the dashboard with a 'stop' light while I was driving. I checked the brakes and found that the return strings on one of the rear caliper was seized up making the brake bind. I freed this with a little WD 40 but the light did not go out. Its on all of the time while driving now.
I filled up the brake fluid reservoir but that did not correct it. I thought it might be worn pads so replaced all 4 of them but light is still on.
I had already checked the brake light switch by both disconnecting it and also by shorting the connections across therefore I do not think it is that.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? Should I think about replacing the rear caliper (the one that seized)? Is there some sort of sensor in that.
Could there also be an adjustment on the hand break that would put the light on?
Many thanks for your help.

Hi I'm new to the forum .
The hand brake on warning light came on the dashboard with a 'stop' light while I was driving. I checked the brakes and found that the return strings on one of the rear caliper was seized up making the brake bind. I freed this with a little WD 40 but the light did not go out. Its on all of the time while driving now.
I filled up the brake fluid reservoir but that did not correct it. I thought it might be worn pads so replaced all 4 of them but light is still on.
I had already checked the brake light switch by both disconnecting it and also by shorting the connections across therefore I do not think it is that.
Does anyone have any ideas ?
Could there also be an adjustment on the hand break that would put the light on?
Many thanks for your help.

Hi. Traditionally its brake fluid level.

The STOP message should indicate the cars network is seeing a fault..getting the fault codes read would be an obvious next step.

How low was the brake fluid..?

Charlie
Oxford

Hi Oxford

Thanks for the reply. The brake fluid was not that low and when I changed the brake pads I had to be careful about it overflowing.
I did think about the codes and have bought an OBD2 reader but it does not seem to fit on the Fiat connector so i'm wondering if there is a different connector for that car.
I had also wondered about the sensors on the wheels; someone suggested one could be faulty.
Thanks

One other thing, i cleaned the filter in the reservoir as someone said it might not let the fluid through if it was stopped up but it was as clean as a whistle. I am also worried about a stuck float in the reservoir. Could there be a problem with that. The problem is that it is so difficult to get to. I cannot get the connection off.
Thanks

One other thing, i cleaned the filter in the reservoir as someone said it might not let the fluid through if it was stopped up but it was as clean as a whistle. I am also worried about a stuck float in the reservoir. Could there be a problem with that. The problem is that it is so difficult to get to. I cannot get the connection off.
Thanks

Hi.
OBD is a standard.. they should all fit..

Its a bit odd.. but reading the error would still be my next course of action.

Thanks Varesecrazy!
I have checked the codes and none show up so have drawn a blank on that one. Any further ideas?

Stating the obvious I know - but you mention checking the brake light switch, have you checked the handbrake warning switch. That brings up the brake warning and stop light?

Hi Deldan
Sorry I have not responded before but all of a sudden the fault went away (several months ago) but in the last day or two has come back. I did check the handbrake switch and shorted it across to that a connection was made as well as taking the connections off to open circuit it but neither of these worked. The problem now seems to be that it is intermittent. It is on when I get into the car even though I park it without the handbrake on then sometimes after I've driven for a while the light goes off. When I pull the handbrake on it goes on again and switches off when I put it off. But when I park it again it comes on again until I've driven it. The message definitely says Handbrake on and it beeps at me. Any ideas please anyone? is there a relay that might stick?
Many thanks

Hi anyone!
I have now checked things like the brake fluid level, the rear brake lights, any error codes which are all okay and still the handbrake warning light keeps beeping at me. Although when I have driven a few miles (seems to vary) it goes off. I note that when I switch the engine off and restart it the light stays off even when I lock the car and come back to it. Although I have not been on a long drive it does not seem to come on again after driving until I leave it overnight.
Does anyone have any ideas what is happening and the cure for it? It is very frustrating and I am worried it might fail the MOT.
Thanks

Just one more thing that I saw on this excellent website! Does anyone think that it might be down to the thickness of the brake discs? I notices that they are getting a little thin when I replaced the pads a while ago. It was just that someone mentioned this might be possible. I am reluctant to replace them unless this is the problem as the vehicle is so old. Having said that I would rather have good brakes.
Thank you.

Hi!
I am still having problems with the hand brake warning light. It seems to be an intermittent fault that is worse when it is cold. I say this as it did not come on summer long but now the winter has come the problem has come back. Also hen the car gets warm the fault seems to go away. Driving it for a while makes it go off.
I wonder if there is a relay that switches the light on that may be faulty especially in the winter or particularly the cold.
Please can someone help me on this? Does anyone have any ideas what this might be. Btw we have had the car for 14 years and we love it. it is so practical with the removable seats and is fairly economical. Only had two major problems which are to be expected of a car this age. The alternator packed up when I was in France two or three years ago and the clutch went about a year ago. Both not to bad to have fixed.
Thanks for your help
Norman

Hi Norman
Have you checked the
sometimes the brake light is dual purpose, ie handbrake and brake fluid level.

have you recently checked the brake fluid level, when was the brake fluid last changed or topped up.

Tim

Back